Skip to main content

I know that Sebatron himself has been warned about promoting this unit on this board, but I'm curious if any here have had a chance to use one of these units? I've read some good reviews and heard a lot of good word-of-mouth. To what other pres is the VMP comparable?

Thanks

Comments

KurtFoster Tue, 03/18/2003 - 06:23

godotzilla,
As we speak I am awaiting the arrival of one of the Sebatron VMP-40000e's. Sebatron has kindly offer one of these wonderful pres up to the "Alter of review". I will be comparing it to a pair of Neve Amek 9098 pre I have using a variety of classic mics including a U87i, C12a and a vintage AKG 451. I will report on this as soon as I possibly can. keep an eye on the review page here or on the Emag.
http://www.recording.org/e-mag/

If I may ask, is there anything special you would like me to do (short of damaging the unit) in the review? Kurt

anonymous Tue, 03/18/2003 - 06:35

Originally posted by Kurt Foster / Fats:
If I may ask, is there anything special you would like me to do (short of damaging the unit) in the review? Kurt

Dang! I was going to ask you try dropping it off a three-story structure to test the unit's tone during high velocity situations.

Actually, I'm very curious to hear how it performs on guitar and bass--particularly how the "air" and bass enhancers affect the signal, just how colored it gets. Of course I'm also intensely curious how it works for vocals, too. I would primarily be using a Rode NTK w/ such a pre, so I'm also curious how it interacts w/ a tube mic.

Thanks, Kurt! I am eagerly anticipating your review!

Godot

anonymous Tue, 03/18/2003 - 06:57

I've been using a MIM Fender Jazz bass. For guitars/amps, I've been using mostly a 62 Strat into a Vox AC30, a Marshall SLP, and a Naylor Superclub (30-watt, single 12"). I haven't done too much in the way of direct guitar to pre, mainly because my current pres are not well-suited to that task--and I love micing cabs to get the air going.

I'm sure that the gear you have on hand for testing is going to provide a more than suitable benchmark. I'm interested to hear how the Sebatron captures your Fender amp.

Tungstengruvsten Thu, 03/20/2003 - 09:10

I waffled over one and just couldn't get enough scratch together even though Sebatron offered me a deal...it's still on my mind tho-

Can't wait to read the review and hear some user reports...

Hey Dan! Funny running into you here...Thanks so much for the Lucid Genx6/8824-this has made an incredible difference in my productions! Hope all is well-