Skip to main content

Hello. I just bought a Tascam US-224 and I seem to be having the same (frustrating) issue as these two Tascam users --

(Dead Link Removed)

and

(Dead Link Removed)

I had no trouble installing the software and connecting the US-224.
But when I plugin my mic and try to record, I only get a faint, crappy signal that barely registers on the Input meter. I have to CRANK the trim and phones level to hear anything at all. I even bought a new mic cable and set of headphones to be make sure those weren't the problem.

Here are my system and gear specs --

Computer
- Dell Dimension 8100, Pentium 4, 1.3GHz, 256MB DRAM, Creative SB Live!
sound card, Windows XP

Gear
- Tascam US-224 controller, Shure SM57 dynamic mic connected directly to Mic input
via lo-Z cable

Please, please help. I'm anxious to record. And forgive me in advance for any dumb questions -- I'm very new at this.

Thanks!

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Tue, 07/16/2002 - 21:19

Hmmm...low level signal coming from a dynamic mic into a 224....well, I have a 428 and I'm plugging in a 58 to see.....check one two..check one two(whatever you do never say three...Mkay?! :p )
What type of headphones did you get? Some have a really low impedance and others have a really high impedance so the level you are hearing is much lower than you would want it to be...Sony headphones are loud! Rappers love em since they like it ear bleeding volume usually! AKG's are very quiet...
Now, I'm able to hook up a 58..cable I made years ago with Mogami single wire...into the 428 A port and indeed I need to crank the gain pretty wide open to get a decent level in...what you might want to try doing(instead of buying new cables or headphone :roll: ) is to get yourself an impedance mismatching transformer...it will take the Lo Z(or mic line level signal) into a Hi Z imepdance line level signal! This way you can go directly into the 1/4" jacks and see if you hear a difference...transformers are dirt cheap and guitar center usually carries them...
Otherwise it could be a mic gain issue on the 224 itself...may not be able to get the desired level without an external mic pre...ART technologies makes a great little Tube MP mic pre for about 200 smackaroos and would do the job just fine!
Typically most people use an external mic pre rather than using the onboard one.
Let us know
Opus

anonymous Tue, 07/16/2002 - 22:22

Sorry! I just thought about it and remembered that's not good manners. :o
It was actually just an inside joke for Opus, poking fun at myself because I always offer the Mackie 1402vlzpro as my advice for practically any situation, it seems!

And once again...1402! :D
A bit more $, but best bang for the buck!
Your gonna need a m ixer (if you ever want to use multiple mics or instruments)at some point anyway, and the quality of the pre's is unmatched for the price. Avg used right now $398... :p

anonymous Tue, 07/16/2002 - 22:49

OK, I just got curious and tried mine. I use an audix uem-81 cardioid condenser mic, input to my 428 and I have the same computer except for the sound card. I tried it with and without a transformer with the same results. I don't know shit about mic's; is it because mine is a condenser mic?*

*See, this would be a great place for the retard graemlin!

x

User login