Skip to main content

Has anyone actually used the new Tascam US2400 controller, other than a quick demo in a music store? I run Sonar and soundforge, and want a controller surface for mixing. I know about the alternatives, but I've yet to hear about anyone with working experience of the Tascam.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 11/18/2004 - 12:46

Greetings,

I have used it once and I like it very much. I currently use a US 428 a smaller version with less features but still a nice unit for the money. There is a very good write up in musicians friend catalog that you might be able to find on their web site. The one thing I liked is it has a led strip for each channel that can be set as a small vU meter. I'm sure there is somebody out there who runs one.

cheers

JRS

anonymous Thu, 11/18/2004 - 12:58

BTW ,

If you are just using it as a control surface It might be a little over kill. the reason I say this is because the movements that are a pain to get to with a mouse master volume, jog, play stop etc. you can get all this with the 428. If this is your first surface you can get the 428 on ebay for a killer price 150 -250$. just my 2cents

cheers

Doublehelix Sat, 11/20/2004 - 10:16

The US-428 and the US-2400 are completely different beasts! The 428 has audio and midi i/o, and only has 8 faders (non-motorized), the US-2400 has no i/o and has 24 mototized faders.

I owned a 428 for a short time a few years ago, and it did what it said on the tin, but it was limiting for me as a control surface, and I did not use the i/o at all, so I sold it on Ebay.

I did see the US-2400 at a local music store, and got a chance to play with it, and I was a bit disappointed in the overall feel of the system.

I own a Mackie Control (+ a single XT entender unit), and I must say that the TASCAM unit feels pretty cheap when compared to the Mackie. The US-2400 faders feel cheap and "plasticy", and the jog wheel is un-weighted and feels like a round piece of plastic stuck on a potentiometer (which it is, I'm sure!).

The Mackie Control adds scribble strips, and lots more functionality, although it is obvioulsy more money, it is worth it imho. I'm sure the TASCAM works just fine, it just doesn't have the solid feel that inspires confidence...at least to my touch.

x

User login