Skip to main content

Hello everyone, this is my first post, I'm a newbie from Philippines... I recently bought a Yamaha MG124CX Mixer purposely to be a preamp for my Delta 1010lt. I intend to use 6 mics for the drums and thought that the console can hold up to that task. My only confusion wiether to use the group and stereo out of the mixer to connect to my delta inputs or to use the insert from the mixer to the delta. How would it differ? Your feedback is highly appreciated...

My other question is if the Mixer output level acceptable enough for a live recording of drums. Any suggestions?

Sorry for my english.

My DAW is Sonar 6PE, Triton LE (Synth), Yamaha YST Monitor.

Thanks...

Comments

RemyRAD Mon, 10/01/2007 - 01:12

I recommend utilizing the inserts to feed your computer audio interface. This gives you the least amount of circuitry to travel through and the most pure signal path. You would only use the group outputs if you wanted to combine 2 or more microphones into a single output. Otherwise, completely unnecessary.

We are related! My brother married a Filipino woman.
Ms. Remy Ann David

Boswell Mon, 10/01/2007 - 02:13

The MG124CX is not really designed as a recording mixer, so you don't have a lot of choice if you want to record raw tracks (unmixed, no effects added). Only 4 of the channels have inserts, and there is only 60dB of gain available from microphone in to insert out.

If you insist on using 6 microphones for your drumkit (4 is usually enough, especially to avoid phasing problems), you will have to use the group or main stereo outs for the other two channels. You will need to take care with matching the levels between the insert outs and the other outputs.

Using conventional TS jack cables in your insert points will correctly extract the channel signal on the tip, and ground the return. This means that the signal from that channel will not be available for mixing. If you need that channel's signal for the mix, use special cables that are fitted with TRS jacks that have the ring connected to the tip. Adaptors that do this job are available from Hosa, model DOC-106.

anonymous Tue, 10/02/2007 - 01:20

Thank you for your favorable reply...

So I understand that MG124cx isn't mean to be used for recording...
I should have bought the MW series... anyway since it is there
I should utilize it to its capability.. but does it mean I really have to buy a decent preamp for my M-Audio Delta 1010? what would you suggest.

Boswell, my question for that Hosa, Model DOC-106 you mentioned.. is the circuitry the same as using TRS jack and use the Out and leaving the In unused?

My follow up question would be.. is Boston Drum mic better than Acuña brand.. or those are crap and would seek for high ends... budget is around $100.

Remy from what province your sister in-law came from?

Thanks

Boswell Tue, 10/02/2007 - 02:06

arbi_ph wrote: So I understand that MG124cx isn't mean to be used for recording...I should have bought the MW series... anyway since it is there
I should utilize it to its capability.. but does it mean I really have to buy a decent preamp for my M-Audio Delta 1010? what would you suggest.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. The Yamaha MG124CX mixer and the Delta 1010 are capable of good recordings. If between them they provide the functionality you require (enough inputs, channel outs, mix buses etc), then I would stick with them, at least until you know you have exhausted their possibilities. You would have to spend substantially more money to jump to the next level in sound quality. That said, if you happen to see a multi-channel pre-amp that you fancy at a good price, then it would make quite a difference to your way of working. You could come back here and ask for further opinions at that point.

arbi_ph wrote: Boswell, my question for that Hosa, Model DOC-106 you mentioned.. is the circuitry the same as using TRS jack and use the Out and leaving the In unused?

No, it connects the input to the output as well as taking the signal down the cable. If you want to wire a TRS jack with just the signal out, it would be better to ground the input (as a TS jack would do) than to leave it open circuit.

arbi_ph wrote: My follow up question would be.. is Boston Drum mic better than Acuña brand.. or those are crap and would seek for high ends... budget is around $100.

Sorry, I have no experience with either of these mics, but I would guess that $100 does not get you a "high-end" drum mic.

Boswell Tue, 10/02/2007 - 08:40

arbi_ph wrote: Thanks Boswell that clarify all my questions for now.

Except this one...

arbi_ph wrote: Can I route back the signal from my Delta 1010lt to Mg124CX for Monitoring? will this be possible? Ive done in a way but have a phasing problem is there any other way?

You could mean several things by this question:

(1) monitoring the raw tracks during recording: use the Hosa adaptor with the T-S connection, and you get the raw signal to mix.

(2) replaying already recorded tracks during recording of new tracks: take two outputs of the 1010 to line inputs of the mixer or direct to headphone amplifiers. Beware of latency problems. (Is that what you meant by "phasing"?)

(3) monitoring during mixdown (post production):
(a) using the Yamaha for mixing: take as many outputs from the 1010 to line inputs on the mixer as you have. Record the stereo output of the mixer on two further tracks.
(b) mixing in the computer: take the stereo mix as two outputs of your 1010 either directly to powered monitors (or passive monitors plus power amplifier), or via two line inputs on the mixer and take the mixer stereo out to the monitors. Remember to pan the inputs hard left and hard right.