Skip to main content

Hey,

What's on your 2012 gear wish list?
Are you planning and/or building up your studio? What do you need and why?

Comments

lteruel Wed, 11/23/2011 - 02:02

dreaming of getting the Moon the Loon drum kit but ofcourse that's just a fantasy of mine and each year i'm dreaming that I'm gonna have a friend so cool that he can let me play those dream drums.

but right now i'm saving all my money for Mapex Saturn and hoping that gonna get it by mid of 2012 :wink:

bicasaur Tue, 12/06/2011 - 02:17

Looks like the wife and I are going to try to move into a new house this coming year, so my number 1 item is SPACE! I would love to track drums without having to kick my wife and toddler out of the house for the day. Nothing ruins a drum take like a toddler trying out her opera voice in the next room during a subtle part.

With a new room comes the opportunity to redo a lot of things and at the top of my list is new monitors. I'm thinking about the Adam S4X-H. I'll never afford them, but maybe I can figure out how to afford them, you know? I'd like to build a false wall and soffit mount them; just trying to cut down on reflectionable surfaces.

Otherwise, I just got my first Lunchbox, so I'd like to fill it... maybe a few 512c's... :rolleyes:

BobRogers Tue, 12/06/2011 - 04:12

Smaller Stuff: More ribbon mics (looking at Royer 101, 121; might have an opportunity for an RCA) and another AEA Preamp. I definitely like the sound. I think the ribbon selection is a signature feature of my studio. I might get another UAD card. I don't have enough DSP power to use the Studer A800 plugin the lazy way. But I could just keep my money in my wallet and print each track with the Studer (wish they get it on AudioSuite in PT).

Bigger Stuff: Rearrange my whole house. Move my wife's sewing room upstairs. Turn the sewing room into a control room. This involves some remodeling of the new control room. The tracking room can also use a lot of remodeling. These are both basement rooms and the team that put up the drywall took the easy way out and wasted a lot of space. There are big soffits that can be greatly reduced in size. In the control room I'll probably be stuck with a small soffit, and I'll build one on the other side to make it symmetric. This is a pretty big project and I can take it one room at a time if need be.

audiokid Wed, 12/14/2011 - 22:26

I wish I could turn my large master bedroom into a control room and move my wife into the garage lol.

JUST kidding Honey!

So many things on my wish list but top on my radar are a few high end compressors and some mixing books and videos.
An 8 channel preamp has been on my list for years. I'm demoing the SPL RackPack full of [[url=http://[/URL]="http://spl.info/har…"]Premium [/]="http://spl.info/har…"]Premium [/]Mic Pre's this January.
here's what it looks like:

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/rackpack/rackpack_micpres1500.jpg

Rebuilding our piano is also very important.

Bob, a ribbon mic studio sounds like a really smart move. Both you and I have been paying attention to Fab, yes? Or our ears.:biggrin:

TheJackAttack Thu, 12/15/2011 - 13:20

My son has officially started driving and all that entails-insurance, gas, etc. Well maybe I had gas before that but I'm not telling. Also my boss has decreed that the house will begin to be remodeled room by room starting in 2012 so I've been brushing up on all my Ugly's references before I get to start playing Sparky. Sorry Dave, you aren't close enough to hire :-(

Recording wise, I think I'm going to cull the last of my PA stuff from back in the day and a few of the extra microphones (gasp) I have sitting in bins with dessiccant. I'd really like to buy some stuff but like the-and nobody fall over here -Tascam (there, I said it) [[url=http://[/URL]="http://tascam.com/p…"]HS-P82[/]="http://tascam.com/p…"]HS-P82[/] but I can't justify it currently. I had been going to invest in a pair of DPA SDC's too but unless my initial remodel efforts go faster than I thought, that is on hold too until I turn that lump of coal I'm expecting into a diamond (y)

BobRogers Thu, 12/15/2011 - 16:42

audiokid, post: 380671 wrote: ...Bob, a ribbon mic studio sounds like a really smart move. Both you and I have been paying attention to Fab, yes? Or our ears.:biggrin:

Well, for me, the ribbon thing started on this board with Remy and Jeremy and others. (So you'll have to take some of the blame.) I think Fab has a good observation that condensers became all the rage when people were recording to tape. Now, when we are all recording digital, ribbons (with a high end response that is very clear, but not as forward as the condensers) are coming back into style. I also think that ribbons go well with of the sort of Americana music that I record most often.

Another basic point is the the top condensers are much more expensive than the the top ribbons. What I mean to say is my ribbon collection (Royer SF-12, AEA R-84, Beyer 130,160, Avantone CR-14, Cascade Fat Head pair) is far closer to "high end" than my (similarly priced) condenser collection (Mojave MA-200, AKG C414 B-ULS (2), Shure SM 81 (2), Shure SM 87, Rode NT-55 (2)). If I'm trying to make the studio distinctive, ribbons are a cheaper way to do it.

MadMax Thu, 12/15/2011 - 18:03

Oooof....

My wish list is a bit daunting, but looks like this;

Upgrade from HD to HDx

8 more channels of BAE 1073's
8 channels of A-Designs Pacifica's
Refurb the 44Bx
A Pair of M88's
Another R84
Another RE20

Hammer
Nail
SC2

Possibly a Spider

The Tech Shop getting wired and finished.
Final contracts and articles of incorporation for the new record label
Hire a salesman
Hire 2 assistants and get some interns in here on a regular basis

Finish off the koi pond and the outdoor 5.1 theater at the fire pit

3 HD PTZ cams
Roving cam
Switcher
4 HD Vid recorders

2 new servers - one for audio, one for video

Then get soil compaction/engineering tests done on the soil to the side of the studio... Possible ground breaking on a 20'x30'x16' high expansion for additional video production and piano/string tracking.

audiokid Thu, 12/15/2011 - 22:56

ya, but I'm also told the hardware is selling like hot cakes. Its all so confusing in this economy. Here in Alberta and BC, we're doing pretty well but the rest of the planet is struggling I thought. The last 5 manufacturers I've talked to all said they are back ordered and can hardly keep up. WTF! This is good news.
I suppose the Bricasti is a serious luxury item and the first to go in hard times. I almost bought one last week but thought... hmm rather put my money into other hardware, which I just did. Just bought an STC-8 H 10 min ago. Feeling pretty excited. My list is shortening.

BobRogers Sun, 12/18/2011 - 09:55

MadMax, post: 380881 wrote: Well... If anyone wants to make a stocking stuffer from their old 480L, I wouldn't turn it down.....

If you got rid of all the packaging, UAD card with the Lexicon 224 emulation would actually fit in a stocking. Now that they have the deal going with Lexicon, I wouldn't be surprised if a 480L emulation didn't materialize soon.

Kapt.Krunch Tue, 12/20/2011 - 06:37

Wish list for 2012?

Only one thing.

Decent employment (after 3 years of short term contract/temp work since being laid off from a good job) in the computer, electronics or industrial maintenance field so I don't have to keep selling off an amp or guitar one piece at a time.

Unfortunately, probably won't happen anytime soon, with all the butting buttheads in DC. Not to mention 100 people chasing the same job that you can't near through the impersonal nature of online-only resumes and stupid "personality" psych exams that ask the same ambiguous questions four different ways, with no chance of explaining why you picked one answer over another.

Well, actually...two things. That, and my broken, aching molar repaired. (Just...not on the taxpayers' dime.)

Other than that, I'll just be thankful for still having a roof over my head, and my belly fed, and make do with practicing song-craft and recording with what I have left (which is still a blessing, compared to some people who have absolutely nothing).

For a little while longer, anyway.

Kapt.Krunch

MadMax Tue, 12/20/2011 - 07:53

audiokid, post: 380975 wrote: Max, I'd love to hear why you want A-Designs so much? What interests you about the Nail and Pacifica's?

I own a pair of REDDI's. The sonic and build quality is phenomenal. Their service is astounding as well! I had a client in who refused to use my cabling and used a very cheap guitar cable. It promptly broke off leaving the tip stuck in the unit, rendering it useless. After a quick call to A-Designs, I sent the unit back to be repaired. They not only repaired the unit, but did a couple of upgrades to take the unit up to their current production. All free of charge, as they weren't convinced that it was the fault of the cheap cable, but possibly the fault of something wrong with the connector... which I can assure you it wasn't the connector. The explanation I was given, is that they would prefer to me have as satisfied client... guess what?!?!? I'm SOLD! Any company that stands behind their product like this, and honestly cares that their customers rely upon their products for their income?!?!? Lets just say that it's a rare situation in an industry that's becoming a watershed for consumable gear that's cheaper to trash than fix.

I've got a pair of original Quad Eight channels, and they're almost as tasty as my 1073's, in an API/Neve-esque way. Since finding more original Quad Eight's is like pulling hens teeth, and Pete Montessi is the brilliant mind behind reviving the Quad Eight sound - Pacifica's make a LOT of sense, and would definitely be an additional flavor to compliment the 1073's. Granted, my Quad Eight pair includes the EQ section, which I dearly love btw, the Pacifica's appear to be a very economical solution for a high quality mic pre.

I have several engineer/friends that are highly recommending the Nail as one of the most versatile compressor's on the market. Whether it be drum bus, vocals, BGV's or the 2-bus... for tracking or mixing... The sonic character of the Nail is touted as "something" all the way to "nothing", and every combination in between. As highly recommended as the Nail is, I'm definitely interested in adding one to the pallet.

Paul999 Sun, 12/25/2011 - 08:31

I have one slot on my API lunch box left to fill. I'll either be getting another API 525, purple action or API 560. I also have another 6 slots to fill on my tonelux lunch box. The 2 eq's I have from them have been really nice. They are so flexible, have really nice extended lows and highs and huge frequency overlap the 4 bands of eq makes them able to eq you out of most spots you might get into.LOL The "pultec" trick you can do is stellar especially in the mid range on guitars. I am pretty happy with my current set up but am buying a little here and there to solve problems when something is particularly annoying or needs to be done quicker on a regular basis. The tonelux stuff really stood out to me as high fidelity but with major vibe in its own right.