Skip to main content

Hi all,
Greetings from Jamaica. I'm not a tech wizard like many on this forum, and would appreciate any sort of help to get me going.

I am running a pro level post production studio. I do my recording in various studios and edit/mix/master in my own. I've been using Paris Pro in an old G3 beige. Paris has been very good to me but, EMU/ID has neither been keeping up with the times nor my competition. (i.e., suport for improved 3rd party software plugs VSTi etc.)

I've have recently purchased a g4 800 quicksilver to run Nuendo currently configured as follows:

G4 800 quicsilver 2000 (ie.as from factory no extras) model M8705LL/A
RME 52/96 DSP pci (to RME ADS 8 ds)

My Problem:
I need to add a hard drive to this mac, as it only has one, and I plan to run audio-only on a second drive. I have acquired a western digital WD1000, an ATA100 100gig with 8meg. cache. However, I've only now realized that my g4 only supports ata66.

How can I maximize the utility of this drive with my system?

Choces:
1. Install the drive in an available mac port, which would mean loosing the extra available speed and the advantage of the cache.

2. Install the drive in a firewire enclosure that is Oxford 911 equipped, and ati 100 compliant. (will I loose 8meg cache here as well?) (Is firewire adequate for up to 36 track 24bit 48k - a typical senario for me)

3. Purchase a PCI ATA100 controller which would take advantage of the drives speed, but tax the PCI bus. I was hoping to keep the PCI bus free to add some DSP (powercore and/or uad)

4. anthing you can recommend?

I would appreciate your guidance.
Thanks in advance,
Ska-ite

P.S. Buying a PC is not an option for me at this time, as I cant afford the time for that learning curve.

Topic Tags

Comments