Skip to main content

?
thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 06/17/2005 - 12:54

What's the application? I'm assuming OH's because that's what AKG advertises this mic to be used for. What's your budget? If you like small diaphragm condenser mics for overheads, Shure's SM81 is a popular choice that I have used with good results. SM81's run about $350 or so. I've used Audio Technica AT4041's which cost a little less. They sound less hyped, but I liked the SM81's better. These would, in my mind, be "next tier up" mics from what you have. There are SO MANY choices. It would help if you posted some more info on budget and what mics you have besides the C430.

anonymous Mon, 06/20/2005 - 09:49

If you've narrowed your search down to the Oktava's you'll need to be certain you get them from a reliable source. Some are made in China and from what I understand they tend to have a lower quality control standard. Also, even if they are Russian made, most of the chain music stores sell Oktava's with poor quality control. I HIGHLY recommend you check out this site: http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php they have a reputation for excellent quality control and matching. Getting a reliably matched pair will be critical in your application for drum overheads (and stereo micing in general). The variations from mic to mic from chain stores and Chinese sources will cause a big problem with stereo imaging. If you get your Oktavas from the Sound Room they will sound a lot better for your application, but expect to spend a little more. Good Luck!