Skip to main content

Does anyone knows about this one? It's a 24 in-line console from Tascam... I couldn't find any info on their web site. :)

Comments

JeffreyMajeau Mon, 06/18/2001 - 11:54

They're okay..I found some info about them after a hard web search. I wouldn't buy one, but there was one here when I came on board.

Midi Mute automation, 8 buses, 4 effects sends, mic, line and tape return inputs, which makes it cool for transferring from analog 8-track into the DAW, I can bring all 8 tracks into the first 8 channels (via the "flip" switch at the top of the channel strip), set levels, send to the buses which are rulered to 0 and patch the buses direct to PT. Of course, if I had the direct outs wired up to the patchbay, or the 8 track for that matter...nevermind.

The EQ section is decent, the mic pre's will get you there, but they hiss noticeably. To get a decent sound out of em, run the channels kinda hot and hit the 2-bus hard. That gets things up above the hiss. It sounds better up there with all the red LED's lit on the L+R meters.

I don't think that I would pay more than $500 for one of these even in MINT condition...

I'll see if I can find more info, cause it's around.

Dan ROth
Otitis Media

JeffreyMajeau Tue, 06/19/2001 - 03:44

No, I believe you can flip every channel, so you've got 24 potential tape returns. My analog tape machine is 8-track, so I only use the first 8 channels as tape returns.

They're a decent board, but I'd like quieter circuitry. They sound okay when you're whalin' on em though.

The EQ is better than say, a Mackie 1604's, but the inherent self-noise is more of a concern. I'd rather tweak a mic and have a quiet board, than have a good EQ section and 50dB of noise floor...

Dan ROth
Otitis Media

JeffreyMajeau Tue, 06/19/2001 - 11:53

Well, I think that the Mackie has newer and quieter circuitry. People rag on Mackies, but honestly, they're a great value for the price.

Allen + Heath would possibly be a more "musical" approach. If I were buying a used board, I would look for a used HIGH END board that costs as much as a new lower-class board, yaknow? I definitely wouldn't buy Prosumer gear that was designed 15 years ago.

You did know that the M2524 is -10 on the buses, and I'm not sure if it's -10 on the main outs or not. Either way, the summing amps and 2-bus aren't anything special. I think Mackie does that better. Hang on to your Mackie, spend the money on better converters for your rig and more outboard gear.

The noise problem isn't that bad if you don't have to use the input trims, but once you adjust the trim, boy does the hiss become noticeable. Let's put it this way, when I roll my synth prints off the TSR-8 analog 1/2" deck (using dbx NR), the hiss comes from the board, not the tape.