Skip to main content

Hey all, okay I searched and couldn't find an answer...

the day has finally come when digi lets go of their tight ass restrictions. Anyway, I wanna get rid of my 002r and get something to replace it on the m-audio end of things (I also use DP and cant stand the core audio driver hence the need to get something else).

I will use my RME converters via ADAT into the m-audio interface (if I get one), but will probably be stuck with the DA until I can afford (justify) something better.

How's the firewire 1814 say compare to the 002r as far as quality? Anyone out there own both?

Thanks.

Comments

anonymous Thu, 04/07/2005 - 15:11

PCM wrote:

How's the firewire 1814 say compare to the 002r as far as quality? Anyone out there own both?

i don't own these, but i do own the audiophile 2496 and an mbox.
the mbox blows the 2496 out of the water when it comes to quality. and the differences aren't small. there is an extremely noticable(sp??) difference between the two.

anonymous Thu, 04/07/2005 - 19:30

You guys are missing the point. PCM is referring to the fact that M-Audio is now selling ProTools software to be used with some of their interfaces. The Firewire 1814 is one that can be used with ProTools now. He want's to ditch his 002 beacuse he isn't having good luck with it when using it with Digital Performer.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the 002, so I can't help you PCM.

anonymous Thu, 04/07/2005 - 20:23

the day has finally come when digi lets go of their tight ass restrictions.

They haven't, really...M-Audio's products are still "their" products technically. And it's not really getting Pro Tools to people for less money...with the software costing $300, you're not that far below the price of a Pro Tools system in the first place (the 1814/Pro Tools combination, for example, is about $300 less than a 002R, but also doesn't have quite as many features). Or combining it with the cheap $99 AudioPhile 24/96...you're only $50 less than an M Box, and you don't have preamps, balanced I/O, etc. Still, it is nice in that it fills in some of the space between the M Box and the 002R, and I'm sure that it will be attractive to some of the existing M Audio customers out there.

And it is nice in that since the Firewire 1814 supports S/MUX, you now have a way to get more than two channels at once into Pro Tools LE at 96 kHz using external converters.

-Duardo

anonymous Fri, 04/08/2005 - 14:14

Duardo wrote:

the day has finally come when digi lets go of their tight ass restrictions.

They haven't, really...M-Audio's products are still "their" products technically. And it's not really getting Pro Tools to people for less money...with the software costing $300, you're not that far below the price of a Pro Tools system in the first place (the 1814/Pro Tools combination, for example, is about $300 less than a 002R, but also doesn't have quite as many features).

well, basically, my 002r serves as 20 pund, 2U rack space DONGLE. I don't use it for conversion, and as soon as I get an AB switcher, I probably won't use it for DA either. Whatever can get me into the box via ADAT and get me back out again and run pro tools efficiently, I'm all for it.

The 1814 is small and lightweight, doesn't take up much room, looks to be about 001 sized from the product photos.

Oh, yeah, and it's got word clock in so I can clock it to my RME...