Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I need help!

I want to buy a preamp and mic, and after reading all the threads, posts, comments by Kurt, Davedog, Maintiger, etc etc I've shortlisted the RODE k2 (erm...or the NTK - it's soo much cheaper). And for pre's it's the 101 or the brick.

My predicament is that i live in India and while most of you will recommend that I A/B the equipment to find which suits my voice, i'm afraid that's impossible here.

So here goes.

At the moment i have a Delta omni/Delta 66 card and a CAD M177 microphone. I do a little work few radio jingles, website scoring for quick change. So far i've steered clear of too much vocal work since my vocal recording technique/equipment(?) sucks.

My voice sounds boxy, harsh/raspy in the upper-mids and nothing like my voice sounds like in real life. So instead of blaming my voice (i am a singer in a rock band!) or my room acoustics (done the basstrap/live end/dead end/diffuser/fibreglass thingamajigs) I've decided to invest in a better vocal mic and preamp.

My first choice was the Focusrite trakmaster (woo look at the sexy figure on that price tag!) but THEN decided against it after checking out the 'I-can't-live-without-one' fan-following in here.

Then I read up a lot and decided on the Grace Model 101 - great reviews etc. And i presumed that because of its clarity and lack of colour I could get my vocals in and then add the grit via plugins or with my Fat 1. (Is there any merit in that line of thinking?)

THEN!. I read about the brick. 3 tubes etc, etc, and Kurt's 'she's tha-one!'

Now I'm just about to jump off the building.

Need to make an educated decision and just go for it...that's where you guys come in. You got me thinking (thanks!) now help me STOP and buy one of the damn things. Did I say please?

Oh, and i'm sure you never heard this one before - I'm broke (600$ only for the preamp)

thx

(PS This is my first post ...err sorry for being too verbose.)

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 08/11/2005 - 07:28

The 101 is the best value in transparent, linear, clean preamps I have been exposed to. It is essentially the same circuitry as their flagship 801, but with a few cost reductions where it matters least - number of clicks on the potentiometer, wall wart instead of internal power supply, etc.

I highly recommend this box and always have.

Nika

KurtFoster Thu, 08/11/2005 - 14:17

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking the Grace 101 is a single channel 201 with a "few" cost savings implemented.

Power supply .... very different and makes a BIG difference in how the pre performs. My feeling is wall warts don't measure up for mic pres. They are fine on EQs, drum machines and other devices but mic pres often require a lot of current to bring very low signals up to line level without running out of headroom or bandwidth. For full bass extension, effortless high end response and lots of reserve headroom, I have not yet found anything in the wall wart category that measures up ...

Different circuit boards ... more LSI (large scale integration) and SMT (surface mount technology) on the 101 than the 201. While this is no biggie with newer units as they age, future serviceability may become an issue especially if the model goes out of production and sub assemblies become unavailable.

SMT circuit boards are very difficult to replace individual components on without the correct jigs. This is the main reason I don't like SFM technology. Another reason is the actual components used in SFM stuff are LSI chips, often with hundreds of parts stuffed into a single chip. While this is handy, up to this point chip to chip consistency has been an issue, although this situation is improving as technology advances.

CoyoteTrax Thu, 08/11/2005 - 14:23

Ashtronaut, I've had quite a bit of experience with the M177 and found that in the end it just doesn't seem to be a good (male) vocal mic for the very reason you're giving. The vocals come out boxy and almost "spitty" in the midrange. While I love that mic for acoustic guitar with certain preamps and background vocals (using the pad) you may find a little more joy with the new mics you're considering.

TheArchitect Thu, 08/11/2005 - 15:00

Ashtronaut wrote: Make that 1:0 for the Grace - thx Nika.

Hey Sidhu, i've got a friend ready to smuggle one into bombay for me. He's just waiting for me to tell him which one to buy 'cos he's coming back soon!

BTW what's your take on my plight if you know something about these pre's?

I only have experience with the brick, but I can say buying it will not be a mistake or money pissed away. Its a great sounding unit. How it compares with the other is a subjective thing that only you can decide.

therecordingart Thu, 08/11/2005 - 22:31

I've never used the Grace 101, but I hear it is nice and transparent. I have the Brick and absolutely love it on vocals and guitar! It's a flip of the coin on which you want to buy....a little color or really clean? So far the Brick has a permanent home with me because there is always going to be something to use it on no matter what upgrades I make.

anonymous Thu, 08/11/2005 - 23:07

Done! Brick it is...no more thinking for me on this. Thanks everyone on the inputs.

Kurt - Yup i've heard the circuit argument before somewhere in this forum and i'd forgotten about it...thx for reminding me about that one again.

Maintiger - Man! that last point is really a killer for consideration. No KIDDING! you don't know our Indian customs...but then again you haven't met my friend - Mr motormouth can drive himself through any situation :D . Thx again (oh and i must say i'm considering the K2 mic after having read all your recommendations.)

Thanks everyone. My next post will be only after i get the gear - brick+K2.

anonymous Thu, 08/11/2005 - 23:13

And oh, reggie, sorry man I just can't research another pre (Safesound P1)

Poof! Brain circuitry overload...you have to understand my problem - none of these units to see/hear, no access to a studio or friends who've got a unit, NOTHING! Just you guys and your experiences/reviews to base my decision on.

err...And I have to say that it's the first time i'm hearing the name of this pre? (just shows how much i know on the subject.)

Cheers

anonymous Fri, 08/12/2005 - 12:03

Rock...it is!
(A mix of coldplay/floyd melacholic stuff with just a smidgeon of electronica ... well that's for my album... for the money, well, just about any kind of music , but mostly here in india, it's fusion kinda stuff...hint of tabla/sitar/indian classical singing on drum and bass/electronic stlye music.)

And thanks for the welcome, maintiger! This site is quite something...

anonymous Mon, 08/15/2005 - 02:53

I have not used either of the preamps but I use a 177 quite a bit and it is a good mic however it requires a minimum of 8 ma current and that is more than a lot of 48 volt power supply can produce, I would make sure any preamp you select can produce at least 8ma of current or be ready to use a seperate 48v supply. Without enough current this mic will sound kind of boxy.

Cucco Tue, 08/16/2005 - 20:48

Dude - Frob - don't you subscribe to magazines?? :-?

They always come in a month in advance. It's kinda retarded, but the mags make you feel like you're special cuz YOU got next months issue already. What they don't tell you is that the news stands had them a week before you got it....

(y)

J.