Skip to main content

Hi,

I'm considering buying the Brick to use with my digi 002 but i'm wondering if its even worth it since my signal will still have to pass through the digi's pre's. i plan mainly on using this for vocals. if there is a way to bypass the digi pre's please let me know. .i'm pretty new at all of this.

Comments

jonnyc Tue, 06/14/2005 - 16:41

Do a little homework man. You'll see there are inputs 5-8 right next to your xlr's. They have little switches that say 10 -4 or something like that. Any way those are inputs that don't have any preamps, so you would need something like the brick or another pre to be able to use it as a channel. I think with the brick you'll need xlr to 1/4 inch cable to go into the input on the digi. Hope this helps a little.

anonymous Tue, 06/14/2005 - 18:41

From the looks of many other posts on this forum, purchasing the Brick would be a great idea in addition to your 002. Understand that you would not plug the output from the Brick into one of the mic pre inputs on your 002. You only need on mic pre in the chain! The purpose of a pre is raise your mic's signal from mic level to line level, to put it simply. The output of your Brick will be line level which you will plug into one of your line inputs on your 002.

Do a little research on the three biggies: Line level, mic level and instrument signals.

What you can't avoid are the A/D converters on your 002! Not that there's anything wrong with them ...

jonnyc Wed, 06/15/2005 - 12:04

Yes the converters on the 002r aren't the best and eventually I'm going to upgrade. Take a look at some of the stuff by Apogee. I've heard many many pro's favor these over their Digi converters. This can really run you a lot, if I were you I'd just work with what you have and get the best sound you can with what you have. Then as your ears surpass what your 002 can do then start upgrading. What type of music do you record?

anonymous Wed, 06/15/2005 - 22:33

I agree, Johnny. It ain't about the gear, especially until you earn your bread in your studio. It's so much more important at first to experiment and learn as much as you can.

The digi 002 is a solid piece. You may upgrade someday, but don't worry about the converters now. It will take years before you are experienced enough to be hindered by that. I've got an 828mkii and some people complain about its converters. But I know I've got a ways to go before I'm going to blame anything on the a/d converters!

Have fun,

AG