Skip to main content

I use a FF800 as the "brain" of my system.
I use two Digimax LTs as the ADAT 1 and 2 into the FF,
Unfortunately, these units only have inserts, and no true analog outputs.

I currently have:
9 actual outputs (8 analog and 9/10), and the way TotalMix is setup, they are mixed as stereo pairs, leaving 5 discrete outputs (minus some clever panning, when possible).

I need:
2 stereo outputs for my monitors (4 total)
1 stereo output for my headphones
4-8 headphone/effect sends (mono, preferably)

That means I need 4-8 more analog outputs, unless I'm missing something.
Is there a way to circumvent this in TotalMix, w/o adding an addt'l hardware unit that provides more analog outs?

Comments

djmukilteo Fri, 10/08/2010 - 19:22

With only 8 balanced outs:
1-2 Monitor1 (stereo)
3-4 Monitor2 (stereo)
5-6 Headphone feeds 1/2 (mono)
7-8 Headphone feeds 3/4 (mono)
Use the front panel headphone jack for your headphones which is what I use always!

If you had a monitor controller you could use just 1-2 in and split that to each set of monitors which would free up 3-4 for 2 more mono headphone feeds
What about a headphone amp?....or are you wanting separate headphone feeds?
FF800 SPDIF out to a converter/DA for monitor?
FF800 ADAT 1-16 outs to a ADAT/DA output device....that would be the easiest and most effective hardware option....that would give you lots of additional headphone feeds and 8 channels stereo if you wanted...

Or maybe a Allen & Heath GSR24

soapfloats Fri, 10/08/2010 - 19:48

Thanks for the quick replies, fellas - there's some irony in both your suggestions.

John - I was actually ready to pay for a shipment of one of Link's HPAs when the flea infestation happened and I had to jump ship.
As of now, I'm w/o an actual studio and am finishing up ongoing mixes and doing some basic tracking when and where I can.
I am considering more FF800s down the road as well, though the pricetag makes it unlikely.
FWIW, it's not like I also haven't had my eye on the A&H stuff, too!

dj - I *do* have a monitor controller, which I failed to mention. This also provides a headphone out for me, freeing up 9/10 to use in a pinch for something else.
What I really want is the 4-8 DISCRETE headphone/aux sends. Part of what I loved about my Firestudio, and what I hope to make better use of w/ the FF800, is the ability to create multiple mixes for each band member.

So that makes it now...
1-2 Monitor Controller
3-4 HP 1
5-6 HP 2
7-8 HP 3
9/10 HP 4 / Reverb Send

This is functional, for now, but I know I'm going to need more headphone sends and/or aux sends in the future. Yes, I can force members to share a mix, but I prefer not to unless faced with no other option.

TheJackAttack Fri, 10/08/2010 - 22:21

When you bring your individual sticks back into TotalMix, you can pan them at that point. Then when they are in the subgroup they are already panned left or right etc. The subgroup is then sent to it's final output point. I haven't unpacked my gear yet from returning from the summer gig so can't walk myself through it. I'm just going on memory.