Skip to main content

Can I get some input on what is better to record and master with... I have Cubase sx3 for my computer. But I also have a Roland VS 1680 hard disc station.. I have invested way to much time trying to master 2 songs I did on cubase.. The results were to much hissing and to much low end..I have mixed down the songs over and over again..I just cant get it right..Now I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I have read the manual and I'm not even sure its in english its so complicated..I do not have a lot of experiance recording.. But I also dont know anyone that use cubase. to get help from.Is Cubase just to hard to use for a newbie? will the Roland be a good 2nd option? And in Detroit Guitar center should not even sell Cubase because not one person can answer my questions.. If its not pro tools there dumbfounded! Any help will be better then none Thanks..P.s were a Hardcore band.. Thats one of the reasons theres so much low end Lots of distortion...And i plugin direct to the sound card with a line 6 pod for the guitar tacks..

Topic Tags

Comments

hueseph Mon, 04/02/2007 - 16:06

I can't help but think your problem has more to do with your room and monitors than the software. You didn't mention what soundcard you're using. How is your room as far as treatment is concerned? Have you tried listening to a commercial cd in your setup first? My guess is that there are some serious dropouts in your room. Maybe too much absorbtion(causing you to boost high end) and poor bass reproduction from your monitors (causing you to boost the lows)?

On another note, I think you are talking about mixing, as mastering is a whole other skill on it's own.

anonymous Mon, 04/02/2007 - 19:04

Im using mackie 450 monitors and the sound card is an m14 that comes with cubase sx3 the drums were recorded on the hard disk station and then Mixedown on the roland and droped into cubase where we then added our guitars an vocals. It was recorded in my basement that is finished so the celings are low..Do you think im better off only using the roland to record with? or start over on Cubase?

hueseph Tue, 04/03/2007 - 16:18

So many variables. Are they active monitors? If they are active monitors, are they turned up to a reasonable listening level? I know a lot of people don't like this but have you tried a touch of limiting on the master bus? The master faders should be left at 0. I realize this is all elementary but I'm trying to cover the obvious.

How do your levels look on the individual tracks?

anonymous Thu, 04/05/2007 - 14:03

Thanks for all your time and help. but I think the band is going to call it quits and go to a studio to record are cd..Im just having no luck with cubase.. Maybe I can learn more after seeing the pros do it...At the rate were going it would take me 2 years to get our cd out...stinks I have thousands invested in my own stuff.. And feel like I can do it but The other guys just dont want to wait for me to figure everything out. Thanks again.........