Skip to main content

Have anyone compared those units? Or even listened to it?

Comments

anonymous Sun, 02/17/2002 - 05:59

I own a DI/O, and it's fun. Use it now and then for sending hardware/outboard synths/Wurli/Rhodes into Nuendo. It has a tube for color on the way in A-D(the tube isn't part of the circuit on the way out D-A). Unbalanced.

The DI/O has a mysterious reputation among certain members of the audiophile community (as distinguished from members of the pro audio community--those who record music vs. those who merely listen to it...) as the bees knees. These folks don't bother with the A-D, but remove the tube, beef up the power supply, and use it purely as a D-A on, say, expensive CD players whose own converters may have grown a bit long in the tooth.
A search of Google/Deja will reveal many many posts on this subject. Kind of hard to believe that a $150 ART box could accomplish this, but lucky publicity for ART....

J.

anonymous Sun, 02/17/2002 - 07:04

Hello Jamie!
Are you talking about the rackmount unit (new model out a few months ago) or the small one? I was asking about the rackmount one, anyway, your comment is very welcome.
Are you mentioning mods to the box when you talk about beefing the power supply? Do you think it is an upgrade to the 001 D-A outs?

anonymous Mon, 02/18/2002 - 04:04

I was talking about the smaller box; I re-read what you'd posted after I'd sent my original reply....it was before breakfast....

The rack mount box may be more stable by virtue of not having a wallwart. The folks out there using the smaller box as a D-A remove the tube, then stabilize the power. Quite a bit of debate out there on how best to do it.

I mention all of this more as a historian than an advocate. The tracks I've done with mine sound fine..

x

User login