Skip to main content

Hello,

I am a beginner on recording. I bought a Behringer UB802 for basic mixing, I tryed to record my voice to the computer with Phantom powered microphone, but I am having a lot of deep noise.
Even if I unplug the microphone and everything it's still there.
if I volume up the mixer it's getting really bad.

what can I do about that. do you guys thing the mixer doesn't work properly? my friend said try hum eleminators but it shouldn't be the reason, because there is no microfon or instrument plugged yet.

I also tryed 3 different computer for make sure, but all of them has the same noise.

thank you for your responds.

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Tue, 07/19/2005 - 13:02

It's hard to troubleshoot on the net ..... :D

First, I hope you didn't but that Behringer because someone here at RO recommended it ..... :roll:

I suspect it may be a ground loop problem which is the result of powering the mixer and the computer off of different circuits. Try plugging the mixer and the computer into the same wall outlet.

If that doesn't fix the problem then I suggest you take the mixer back and exchange it for a new one.

Guest Tue, 07/19/2005 - 14:31

Wow, sounds like there is a serious problem with that board. Get a local music store to look at it. Most of them will look at it for free, as long as you don't ask them to do it while they are really busy. I'm not saying they will fix it for free, but they will tell you if it does have something wrong with it or not.
Sorry I can't help more

maintiger Tue, 07/19/2005 - 17:10

I have a 16 ch little behringer mixer that I used to use for submixing keys for live shows. i haven't used it in years the other day my pa was tied up at a venue we were gonna play later that week and the guys wanted to rehearse so i figure I get the board out and run it through an acoustic guitar amp fo r the vocals. well it had a horrible noise too! It turned out that only chs 3 and 4 had that noise- i turned the faders on those down all the way and then the rest were fine. check that out, see if it works for you. i still have no idea why those channels are so noisy though- like a short wave static kind of noise. :evil:

anonymous Tue, 07/19/2005 - 18:26

Thanks guys,

yes, looks like the mixer is a junk, I volumed up the other channels (without any plugs) it's getting worse. Without the plugs it shouldn't have any noise, right?
I'll bring it to the music shop this weekend for checking it out, if is really doesn't work, I'll buy something else.
do you guys have other suggestion for mixer (with mic preamp)? around $50-$100
or any other suggestions for recording voice with guitar to the computer?

CoyoteTrax Tue, 07/19/2005 - 20:44

You might want to read a book on home recording and try making some recordings before you invest in anything else.

No offense, but it sounds like you have more than one segment of the signal path plugged in backwards or more than one connection plugged into the wrong jack on the computer. Sounds to me like you're plugging everything into the mic jack on your soundcard.

You could have a $30,000 mixer and still have the noisiest signal path in the world because it's all plugged in backwards.

Maybe a Tascam Porta 01 or 02 would be a good place to start. Something on cassette, or a used reel to reel from ebay.

If you explained step by step what is plugged in and where, we may have a better idea of how to help you.

What kind of mic are you using? Where are you plugging that in on the mixer? What specific jack are you plugging the mixer into on your computer? Those are important questions.

KurtFoster Wed, 07/20/2005 - 08:47

deluxepaint,
We see quite a lot of posts like this regarding Behringer gear (more than any other make) here on RO which is why so many of us have an attitude towards Behringer.

The best advice I can give is to take it back to the place where you purchased it and ask if you can trade it towards something else similar from Mackie. Mackie seems to have a much better track record when it comes to quality control and reliability.

I hope it works out for you.

anonymous Wed, 07/20/2005 - 10:00

Yes there might be something wrong with your board, but unfortunately, this board is really noisy (I should know, I've got one too). The mic pres are so noisy that yes they produce noise even with no mic plugged in if the gain is raised.

Unfortunatly, there's not many option in that price range (70$!). Even a used 1202 from Mackie will be much more than that.

Do try to return it and see if the replacement is better, but don,t expect total silence from this piece of... gear.

anonymous Wed, 07/20/2005 - 11:41

Thanks guys!

I also notice that my sound card has deep noise too, I'll replace it this weekend. Do you guys have any suggestion on this too?
it's not the only source for noise, I tryed the behringer with the home theather and with the headphones it still have noises.

So what is the best way to record voice to the computer?
I knew it can be a another topic but if you guys have short suggestion it can help me a lot.

My main purpose was clearly record my voice to the computer for my own projects. I bought a microphone and I notice it needs preamp. So I figure that behringer mixer has the mic preamp, it was sound like an good choice becuse I am also playing guitar, so I could do some recording with the guitar too.
But these deep noises makes me crazy, Right now just forget about the mixing I just need a clear voice recording.

One more question; is there a PCI card for PC that you can mix your instruments and voice? without the mixer?

x

User login