Skip to main content

So I'm looking to buy a good vocal mic with switchable patterns for use as overheads, room mic, and experimentation. I live in NYC and don't know of a dealer that could supply all three. I suppose, from what I've heard, that the 414B-ULS isn't worth the money though I did like the one I used last year. Can anyone either recommend a dealer in the area or give advice on any of these mics?
Thanks!

Comments

sapplegate Fri, 10/12/2001 - 12:52

The 414 is bright, perhaps too bright, although as you noted, you liked the one you heard recently. The 4050, to my ears, is very neutral sounding and doesn't seem to have much character of its own. I haven't heard the 44 but I have heard a 32 and it was nice, but VERY full in the low/low-mid. Of course the 44 may be totally different. I suppose it's like saying "I haven't driven a Lumina, but I did drive a Cavalier..." Anyway, people who loved the 32 seem to be falling all over the 44. I don't know if anything I've stated helps at all, but, well, there it is.

anonymous Sun, 10/14/2001 - 20:00

Really?? I've been there and tried testing some monitors but they were all setup in the main area and no one was out helping so it wasn't really a good experience. All they had to play was Sting also. I should have brought my own CD but still... I'll have to check them out, thanks. I'm also looking at a MicroTech Gefell UM 92.1 but don't know the price. I imagine quite a bit more than the other three though...