Skip to main content

I just bought a MOTU 828 for my home studio... Does anyone have any hints about what to use between the microphones and the MOTU, as far as i know i need something to amp the mikes since the analog inputs on the MOTU don't have any built-in preamps! I need to record at least 6 channels at one time! Can i use an analog mixer with built-in preamps or do i have to buy a digital mixer, witch is more expensive? I use the MOTU with a powerbook and Cubase sx2.0.

Comments

Cucco Fri, 10/08/2004 - 06:50

Of course, pre-amps will be far better than just a mixer's output. If you can afford it, go this direction, but please don't skimp. Entry level preamps will give you no benefit over a decent mixing console. As for the mixing console, you should look at the Soundcraft M8 - there are 8 mic pres (decent ones at that) and 8 direct outputs. It's as good or better than any $500 mixer on the market.

J...

anonymous Sat, 10/09/2004 - 06:49

As you know i have a mixer in cubase sx so im not looking for a good mixer, i just need the microphones amplified so i can use them in my analog inputs on the Motu 828. or do i have to use a mixer?

I have not a clue what gear i should get! I want to have some decent stuff without taking my guitars to the pond shop...

If anyone has any tips about what i shold get maybe you can give me som links to the gear.

inLoco Sat, 10/09/2004 - 08:58

fezk wrote: Somewhere between 0-300 euros. But i can always sell something or eat pasta for a couple of months....

lol... you want pres for that kind of money you have to buy something from behringer... those cheap stuff...
either you buy something like the ada8000 or a cheap mixer...
i'd go with the ada8000 cause you can connect it to your motu via adat so if you later buy a mixer or some decent pres you can always connect them to your line ins!
of course the ada can also connect to your ins...

anonymous Wed, 10/13/2004 - 06:50

It costs about 300 euros here in Sweden. I thought that it might be a good way to get some quality at a low price by buying something second hand. Then the price for a new device could be like 500 euros compared to the second hand price for the same machine that could be as low as half of that. I almost never buy stuff new from the store.

inLoco Wed, 10/13/2004 - 07:09

what you get with stuff that are on the those prices is basically the same!
the ada8000 may be good for you cause it's a low budget and has the ability to connect to the 828 via adat! this means if you get a new pre you can use with the line ins that are free in the 828!
and products that work like this are like the m-audio octane but that product is new so i don't think you'll find anything in 2nd hand!
and with that budget only behringers!
go check http://www.musicians-gear.com/
ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000 costs 214 euros! with ups is a bit more!

maintiger Wed, 10/13/2004 - 10:08

I second the behringer- the adat thing is useful and you can always get good preamps for your analog inputs later and then use the behringer for extra inputs- we actually tried the thing in the studio and we were surprised but it was ok- certainly no worse than a small mixer and with the 828 the adat connection is primo...