Skip to main content

I just did a quick and dirty comparison of a mic I was considering buying for studio - the BCM104. I was attracted to it because it uses the 04 capsule which is used in the Solution D - a very expensive mic - while the BCM104 is well below 1000. It was made for broadcast and those are often good studio mics (look at the PL20, RE20 etc). I was hoping for a great deal on a mic with a great pedigree and great sound.

For voice, it will indeed do the late night voice of god dj. The built in pop filter is nice. The controls for rolloff are inside the mic by the xrl which must be removed to flip the dip. Its got the typical 10k bump

Anyway, I put it over a drumset with a ksm32, and a Blue baby bottle. I had the rolloff off on the bcm. Bottom line the ksm32 seemed slightly more detailed and smoother, and the bottle had deeper low end, and was as smooth, and as detailed. (pre was a Great River np2nv). None of the mics showed any bad coloration, but the ksm32 seemed more natural sounding than any of them.

The mic was quiet - but the rejection didn't seem exceptional ( for reference, my earthworks mics are exceptional).

Anyway, I'm sure its a good mic for the money, but it was not the deal I was hoping for - and it did not have the silkyness I've experienced with several other Neumann mics.

Perhaps this will be useful to someone.

Topic Tags

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 11/23/2005 - 06:15

It was very useful for me! I have been eyeing that mic for a while, thinking that I could have it do double-duty for both VO's and recording acoustic instruments. I already have an MD441 and some RE-20s for my "higher end" dynamics, and was wanting to expand that area. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll save the $1K for another pair of AT4047s!