Skip to main content

I posted this in DAW/Computing but havnt had any responses, so i thought id try it here.

Which way would you go and why?

I want a control surface for nuendo 2 and i need a new sound card. My budget is $1500 +/-

i was also looking at the Yamaha 01x which seems impressive on paper but looks kinda scary ( i noticed they dropped the price on this about $500.)

Im not really considering any digi stuff or MOTU stuff, but i'd be open to recommendations of the RME stuff or Lynx stuff, though it would put me alittle over budget, so you would have to convince me its worth it.

On a side note, I did some research as far as searching support forums to get familiar with each options potential deal breakers. I found that users of the FW 1884 are experiencing sync issues and issues requiering the unit to be "warmed up" 15-30 minutes before use. A email to Frontier Designs confirmed this as known issue but insist it is only present in a small fraction of units. Another thing i found curious is the ablity to plug the firewire cable upside down, thus frying the FW chip in the 1884. Which again was confirmed by Frontier Design Group.

I know you all aren't fond of the firepod, however, I was hard pressed to find any real issues with this product. However, you are stuck with the converters you are given. With the 1884 the converters can be upgraded.

The more reseach I do the more hesitant I am to make a desicion. Ive just heard so many horror stories

HELP! help my spend some dough..!

Comments

Cucco Fri, 01/07/2005 - 09:26

Personally, I would go with something other than an all-in-one box. I owned the FW1884 and promptly sold it. After having 5 units with the same defect and getting no help from Tascam, I just couldn't take it. The unit sounded decent and the control surface was great, when it worked right.

Personally, you would do well to consider the Lynx or RME stuff. If you need a lot of inputs, get the Lynx 2C (6 analog in's and 2 analog outs) with the Mackie Control Universal (readily available on E-bay for around $700) This will put you a little over your budget, but you won't regret it.

Also, if you don't need motorized faders, check out some of JLCoopers stuff. Their higher end gear is all motorized, but it's big $$. Their entry level stuff is damn good and cheap too.

J...

Cucco Fri, 01/07/2005 - 18:22

imagineaudio wrote: This unit just looks so goddamn attractive to me, what problems did you have with "5" units?

Every single one - the same problem:

the 4th fader - if you touch ANY other fader and try to move the 4th fader at the same time, it wouldn't register. So, when I was trying to automate multiple channels at a time, the 4th channel always bounced up and down based on whether the touch-sensitive fader recognized my finger or not...

But hey, Tascam insists it's not a problem - just all of the units I tried.

J...