Skip to main content

If just doing digiatl in and digital out.

How does this thing affect the signal?
How much degradation? If any?

Anybody know first hand?

Thanks,

Woods

Comments

maintiger Wed, 12/08/2004 - 13:29

Its a pretty decent converter- not as high end as apogee or lucid- it has 2 preamp ins, 8 more analog ins (you'll need pres) 8 more via adat optical and 2 via spdif- For my critical tracks I use spdif through my 2 ch rosetta, thus bypassing the converters- to record drums I use the analog ins with outboard pres and also the 2 built in pres and it sounds good.

anonymous Wed, 12/08/2004 - 19:24

Well....... Isn't the Motu 828mkII the sound card in this case?

Also ---- I have always heard the cliche statement that if it stays in the "digital domain" then don't worry about it. It's all just "ones and zeroes". Digital is Digital is Digital..........

On the other hand I also hear that there can be sonic changes in the signal --- even though it stays in the digital domain the whole time. I'd have to say that I tend to agree that there can be some affect on the sound of something in some way when it runs around circuit boards in digital format.

MY question is: Is there anybody out there that can speak directly about the 828mk II in this way? Does it color the digital signal in such a way as to affect the audio in a negative way???

anonymous Thu, 12/09/2004 - 01:41

woods wrote: MY question is: Is there anybody out there that can speak directly about the 828mk II in this way? Does it color the digital signal in such a way as to affect the audio in a negative way???

As long as you make sure all your gadgets are properly synced - no, it won't distort or color your sound.

Cucco Thu, 12/09/2004 - 05:33

Woods,

You seem a bit cranky...did you get enough sleep, do you need some food?

Yes, the information passed within the digital domain remains largely the same - enough that, to the average or even well trained human ear would not be able to discern most differences. However, anytime you pass a digitial signal through a physical device (this includes cables), you run the risk of some type of loss, whether it be due to jitter or physical errors.

That being said, the MOTU 828 does a very good job passing on a digital signal, as Xavier suggested. Coloration, which you ask about, only takes place within the analog realm - it's not possible to color a bit. In that case, since all of your information is staying digital, there will be no extra coloration

J...

anonymous Thu, 12/09/2004 - 15:08

Sounds good.

Coloration I know. Whatever. Degredation is what I meant. I am happy to hear most people say that the 828 will do a good job of the format conversion stuff. I guess basically I've got a good format converter with alot of extra stuff that I don't want. But like I said I think there's not alot of choice for a box for my needs.

That said. Let me ask another way. I wonder. Would the 828 mkII
be able to do (strictly the digital format conversion) in a top flight mastering house and be up to par with that shop's critical ears?

inLoco Thu, 12/09/2004 - 15:14

like said here a zillion times if it's digital it's digital!!!
if you have an mp3 on a computer and copy it to another computer the mp3 stays the same cause it's a digital transfer!!! if you have your computer working properly it's fine!
like the motu! if you send the signal as digital to it, it stays the same!!!

but if you already have a converter why do you need the motu??? what do you have? a rosetta? rosetta has a new firewire card...

anonymous Thu, 12/09/2004 - 15:22

Cranesong HEDD. Hedd only has AES and SPIDF in/out.

Anyway thanks to all. I'll sleep a little easier hearing that the digital should stay the same. Basically I've got a good digital format converter with alot of other stuff that I don't want but like I said there's not alot of choices out there to do firewire to SPIDF and SPIDF to Lightpipe in the same box. That's what I wanted. At least there wasn't six months ago when I got the box.

shanabit Thu, 12/09/2004 - 17:11

If you clock the MOTU off of the Cranesong, then you will probably get a better sound image recording into the MOTU due to a more accurate digital clock(Less Jitter). I have a MOTU 828MKII and I clock it through the S/PDIF and Optical ports and it works fine without DEGRADATION. However, I will be getting an external AD converter to increase the sound quality on AD conversion. If you dont clock it in this direction with a $3500 Cranesong then your crazy !! Thats an awesome piece. You completely BYPASS any AD conversion this way and allow the Cranesongs clock to give better imaging into the MOTU. Peace :wink:

shanabit Thu, 12/09/2004 - 21:33

---- I have always heard the cliche statement that if it stays in the "digital domain" then don't worry about it. It's all just "ones and zeroes". Digital is Digital is Digital..........

This is correct !!. Its really about what happens before everthing is converted to binary that matters. Such is your Cranesong as I said. That piece will give you a more accurate representation of the original audio source going into the MOTU via S/PDIF or Optical. Once inside the unit it stays in the same data format that it came in on via the Cranesong whether its going from S/PDIF to optical or the other direction. Yes I UNDERSTAND your not using the AD in the MOTU. I understand your question but no one concerns themselves with the binary code once its inside whatever unit your using be it an RME, MOTU, MetricHalo etc. You'll be fine on this one
:wink:

Cucco Fri, 12/10/2004 - 05:25

Woods:

Seriously man, drink some brandy and chill out. Many people have answered your question! However, many people have expanded on your question and provided additional information too. This isn't a bad thing - this is a sign that humanity is good afterall - they are generously providing additional information which they know without any second thought about rewards. So my advice - relax!

Now that being said - no, once in the digital domain a signal does not remain pure. When passing bits back and forth from one digital device to another there are transmission and reception errors some having to do with jitter, some having to do with clocking and some having to do with shitty hardware in some cases. Lightpipe or Optical S/PDIF (toslink more than ST or SC connectors though) is considered a lower quality transmission because it is very prone to jitter. Much moreso than coax and definitely more than AES. The more boxes you pass it through, the more errors.

The format conversion provided by the MOTU gear is excellent, probably some of the better stuff on the market for format conversion. Would it be rated on par with Mastering gear in some of the best mastering houses - in a word NO. First off, very few mastering houses have a need for format conversion from AES/Coax to Toslink/Lightpipe. Second, Meitner gear and Weiss gear is typically the gear of choice for the big boys and yes, it is FAR superior to the MOTU.

Now, my question: If you are using a HEDD, then why are you looking at format conversion to go to a PC? Why don't you get something like the Lynx AES 16 and skip the format conversion aspect of the whole thing?

Thanks
J...