Skip to main content

In the near future I will be upgrading some of my daw hardware to add more inputs and a dedicated control surface so, I can stop mixing with a mouse and move up to some better and more reliable gear. I think that I have narrowed this down to, 2 possible solutions and would like to get a second opinion from you guys. I can either purchase an older 01v w/ an ADAT card and a new 828 mkii or purchase the Tascam FW-1884. I have limited experience with the 01v and none with FW-1884. I will not be able to upgrade hardware for a LONG while after I make this purchase, so I want to get the most bang for my buck. I am running Nuendo v1.6 and Cubase VST/32 on a pc using a Gina 24/96 card synced to an ADAT to give me more flexibility with, in's and out's, if this info helps any. Any and ALL advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Nick

Comments

anonymous Tue, 09/28/2004 - 10:26

I have experiences with both setups

I have a O1V with adat card and was using it with a motu 2408 and it worked ok.

I upgraded in March to the Tascam 1884. I must admit the converters on that thing rock! Either one will work with cubase...however, the only gripe i have with tascam is that there is no native control. You have to use mackie control emulation. That means that some of the buttons on the 1884 don't work with the cubase. Hopefully, one day tascam and steinberg will come to an agreement. Also, cubase does not support the extenders for th 1884. The tascam does work great with DP4 though.

I'm actually selling my O1V with adat card since I have the 1884. The O1V is good, but the tascam has more of a punch.

Hope this helps!

csharp35

Cucco Fri, 10/01/2004 - 08:40

Re: RE: 01v & MOTU 828 mkii or Tascam FW-1884

csharp35 wrote: Hopefully, one day tascam and steinberg will come to an agreement.
csharp35

I spoke with Tascam regarding this, and unfortunately there are no plans currently to strike this agreement. What I've done is taken some scribble tape and covered up Tascam's markings with what the Mackie Equivalent is. Also, since there are a number of programable buttons in Cubase, the scribble tape helps here too.

I agree with csharp35, the converters in the Tascam are nice - better than to be expected out of a budget mixer. The preamps are also decent. For the money, it's hard to find much better.

J... :D

x

User login