Skip to main content

I am trying to record with a sm57 straight into the first XLR channel, but am getting really high levels coming out and can't figure out how to lower the input gain. Am I missing something in the control panel? The jumpers are set to the default mic line setting, as per the instruction manual. Should I just change them to line level and use my mixers pre's? Thanks for any help as I am new with this card.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Wed, 02/08/2006 - 04:09

Greetings,

Heavyhanded wrote: I am trying to record with a sm57 straight into the first XLR channel, but am getting really high levels coming out and can't figure out how to lower the input gain.

What software are you using? Doesn't it have the ability to control input gain within it?

Heavyhanded wrote: Am I missing something in the control panel? The jumpers are set to the default mic line setting, as per the instruction manual. Should I just change them to line level and use my mixers pre's? Thanks for any help as I am new with this card.

That's an alternative worth considering if the pres (and following circuitry) in your mixer is significantly better than those of the soundcard. However, if it's just a budget desk you could potentially be adding unwanted noise with this method.

Try both and see which sounds the best.

anonymous Wed, 02/08/2006 - 11:19

Thanks Spy! I am using a mackie 1604 vlz pro, so I'm hoping the noise won't be an issue. I guess I was just being a bit lazy, why did they have to make it so hard to change those jumpers? :D . I am using pro tools mpowered as software, and while I have used other multitrack software before and am not a total noob, I am just having a bit of trouble tackling the interface. (just got it the other day) BTW, this was my first post to the forums after stalking them for info for some time.. great site!

x

User login