Skip to main content

i'ma a nuendo/sx/Samplitude 7 user... i use a delta 1010 right now but i was thinking about switching to a digi001 or the new digi002 rack for PT.. i can't get the sound i want out of Sx right now.. while under PT i didn't have a problem...

is it worth the change?

and how are the pres on the Digi001 and Digi002.. are they clean to track vocals with or should i stick with my Valley audio 401?

Comments

Opus2000 Thu, 05/22/2003 - 16:23

You must be doong something wrong if you can't get a good sound out of SX!! SX or Nuendo has an amzing audio engine to it!

True, LE has 32 bit float, whilst the TDM or HD systems do not....regardless of that you are limited in track count and other functionalities you can use in SX or Nuendo.

In what way are you not getting the sound you want? What type of Pre's or signal path are you doing? Maybe we can help you refine your sound.

Opus :D

lorenzo gerace Fri, 05/23/2003 - 02:55

I can only speak about the Pro Tools side since I don't know SX, sooo...

I'm considering myself the switch from 001 to 002 rack, but I'm not sure, the upgrade doesn't seem that convenient right now, not that much new features (apart 96KHz support and firewire connectivity) in the new version; with a set of great converters (like Apogee Rosetta or RME) the 001 can sound better at 44.1 than the 002 at 96 (IMO).
That said, the pres on the 001 are "decent", really flat and uncolored, but if you really want to get good sounds I'd invest in a separate (maybe single channel) higher end preamp (to be coupled with the aforementioned converter) for your "money" trackings.

I have mine (001) set up to record via Lifgtpipe from a Focusrite Octopre, and the sound is a major improvement, even with a kind of "budget" pre like this; with some serious pre+A/D combo I think the 001/PTLE system is capable of delivering the goods.

This I think can be said for other softwares (like SX or Logic) too, yes there are differences in the way they handle the signal inside, but to me it's what you put in that really makes the difference.

Hope this helps.

L.G.

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2003 - 10:56

Originally posted by Opus2000:
You must be doong something wrong if you can't get a good sound out of SX!! SX or Nuendo has an amzing audio engine to it!

i know it has a great audio engine, thats the reason i use it.. the problem i'm having is i have to work to hard to get songs sounding good where as with protools it took a few minutes to get nice eq/compression/reverb/delays on the vocals..

another thing with sx.. i don't know if its the pan law or what.. but when i mixdown, yea it sounds good but the vocals don't have the same upfront presence as they do with PT...why is this i don't know.. the vocals were recorded with a TLM193 into a valley audio 401 to SX via delta 1010... i was even able to use a groove tubes Vipre just so be sure it wasn't the pre. my pre is a damn clean pre, very quiet with a half decent compressor.

i loaded the same vocals into PT5.3 and they sounded better flat....

today i changed up some plugins i was using in sx. i was using:
Waves Q10 Eq
Wave Rverb
Ultrafunk compressor R3
on the vocals...

right now i'm using:
Timeworks Eq(the one that looks like the oxford a little)
Timeworks native reverb plus
Timeworks Compressor desser

not only does this setup sound 2x cleaner, the vocals are more upfront the way i like them and it took a large load off my cpu

As for pro tools, yea i know its more limited VS Nuendo/Sx.. i'd use them both seeing that the 001 and 002 can work with nuendo/sx. i have some new artist that have projects under protools right now to... one thing i really like pt for is mastering and the plugins... plugs like the fairchild 660, its so easy to use and it sounds great... i guess i'll stick with what i have or build a Digi001 setup to go with my delta 1010 setup...

Opus2000 Fri, 05/23/2003 - 11:51

Here's a question for you...

what type of speakers are you using?
By fault Digidesign hardware is pretty harsh in the mid range section and causes it to be more pronounced than it should be.

Since vocals tend to be around 2-5Khz it may be why you are hearing them better.

Also depending on what plug ins you are using and how you are using them.

I can do what I've done with JB4Play....sup pimpin...hee hee!

Send me an SX file to my FTP server and I'll mix it and send it back to you so you can get an idea or reference of a mix I do.

See if it's something that you're not understanding about mixing.

The most important part about mixing is not adding too much EQ and also level settings.

Jerrell can give you my contact info and so forth if you want to!

Cheers

Opus

3dchris Fri, 05/23/2003 - 12:01

C9,
AFAIK SX is using same engine as nuendo. That's why I do not think any problems you have lies in the software except you plugins. With all due respect you should use either good hardware compressor or at least an UAD-1 card. Timeworks although sounding good for some instruments is not good at all for vocals. Another thing is your mix. Remember, the less fx you use the better sounding recording you'll have (if the source is recorded properly of course!).

Just my 2 cents.

tnx,
chris

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2003 - 14:27

Originally posted by Opus2000:
Here's a question for you...

what type of speakers are you using?

Right now i'm using Genelec 1031's i'm not really use to them in this room. acoustically its not the best but hey we gotta work with that we have.. i use these 1031's with my partners d8b and my mixes are very clean with it..

By fault Digidesign hardware is pretty harsh in the mid range section and causes it to be more pronounced than it should be.

that could be but the mix sounds better on a cd too.. not just playback

Also depending on what plug ins you are using and how you are using them..

i usually use wave platinum bundle with the ultrafunk plugs. i just started using timeworks stuff today

The most important part about mixing is not adding too much EQ and also level settings.

i try not to use eq now. i use to eq a lot.. now i find my self cutting actually.. all i've done so far is give a slight boost 2.3db @5khz, +1.6 at 10khz with a low cut and a high cut

i'm getting closer and closer to the sound i want with my setup, but i'm not quite there yet...and i don't wanna go buy a D8b right now.. even though with it i know i will get the sound i like....

Originally posted by 3dchris:] C9,
AFAIK SX is using same engine as nuendo. That's why I do not think any problems you have lies in the software except you plugins.

actually doesn't sx have a better audio engine than nuendo 1.61? i know nuendo 2 has the cleanest most advanced audio engine other than samplitude 7

that's what i'm waiting on but its not gonna be out til when ..end of july..

With all due respect you should use either good hardware compressor or at least an UAD-1 card. Timeworks although sounding good for some instruments is not good at all for vocals.

the timeworks compressor deesser actually sounds great on vocals.. i've used all the Software compressors i have and by far the timeworks compressor deesser is the cleanest...
i do plan on getting a Uad-1 and a powercore with in 2 months

as for a hardware compressor.. i thought about it but i like having a flat vocal go into the computer.. my mic strip has a decent compressor on it.. not like the RNC.. that what i'll end up getting if i get a hardware compressor, the FMR RNC

Another thing is your mix. Remember, the less fx you use the better sounding recording you'll have (if the source is recorded properly of course!).

i don't use a lot of fx.. actually i did a mix flat.. no eq, no compression no reverb.. and it still wasn't were i want it...
reverb. i add very little..and using the timeworks reverb and the Rverb it sounds real clean...
i like to hear the music not the fx
i really appreciate you guys helping out...