Skip to main content

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXNE3E/?tag=r06fa-20

Thoughts? It'd be my first ever audio interface, but I understand the basics of mixing and recording, so I'm sure I could do good things with it.

I only own two Shure-SM58 dynamics, mic-wise, so naturally I'm going to need to get a condensor or two, as I'm a vocalist, guitarist, and pianist, but I'll deal with that later. I'm a college student, so naturally, I'm on a very tight budget.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 12/23/2007 - 04:08

That unit is more commonly referred to as the 0404USB.

What type of recording do you want to do? How many tracks do you need to record simultaneously? Will you be recording mainly in one site or doing mobile recording? What type of computer will you use (e.g. Mac vs PC? desktop vs laptop?).

The 0404 USB has only two pre-amps and no other audio inputs (I know that the ad lists 4 inputs but that includes 2 digitial S/PDIF inputs to which you can no connect a mic). Hence, it could only handle 2 mics (and thus 2 tracks) at a time. In addition, it connects via USB2 which places more demand on your computer than Firewire.

StephenMC Sun, 12/23/2007 - 14:25

Ah, details. My apologies. And 0404USB? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I only need two simultaneous inputs -- I'm not planning on doing intense recording. Possibly some live guitar/voice or keyboard/voice recording.

I'll be using a Macbook, and probably some mobile recording, but primarily in a single site. I realize the issue with USB2, especially regarding demand and latency, but all the Firewire interfaces I've looked at are beyond my price range.

Do you have any other recommendations? I'm not an experienced engineer at all -- I've only read up on it a lot, watched a few sessions, and I've done some mixing. I'd like something with a low noise floor, which this appears to have.

I won't be needing the S/PDIF inputs anytime soon, it's true. I don't plan on doing any audio transfer or anything, and while four inputs would be preferable for "in case" reasons, two will suffice, unless you have any other recommendations?

anonymous Sun, 12/23/2007 - 16:52

I wasn't panning the unit; you just need to make sure that it will meet your needs. With the MacBook, Firewire becomes quite attractive. MOTU have a good rep with Macs but would be more expensive. As a starting point with a tight budget, the 0404USB would likely do fine. You won't get professional level sound but then you won't get that in this budget range no matter what you buy :)

If you haven't already found it, there is another site which has a section dedicated to the 0404 line: http://www.productionforums.com/viewforum.php?f=110