Skip to main content

Hello.

I am looking for help with a distortion problem.

I am multi-tracking using my Onyx 1620 into my iMac G5 via the Firewire card. Am using Tracktion v2 software.

To go to CD, I use the "export an audio file" option in Tracktion to export to my desktop. Then I drag the file into iTunes, then burn to CD.

What I've run into is that the vocals sound fine in the headphone mix coming back to board via Firewire, and they even sound fine on the computer's speakers when played in iTunes.

Once I burn to CD however, the vocals are terribly distorted.

Nothing is clipping on the board or in Tracktion.

I can resolve this issue and get a clean recording by running the board at Unity and bringing down the track gain (-16) and the master gain (-30) in Tracktion.

But then the L/R mix coming back to the board via Firewire is so low, you can hardly monitor what you're recording, and after burning, you really have to crank the volume to hear the CD.

Where am I going wrong?

Any help would be great!

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 04/02/2006 - 00:46

I did this to myself in the past. Make sure in the Control Room/Phones Source Box the Firewire and "Assign to Main Mix" buttons are out. Puzzled me for a week or so after I got mine.....seemed like some sort of a loop to me.

[EDIT] Misread your post. Not sure what your problem is as I dont try to direct monitor the mix coming back via Firewire.