Skip to main content

So I'm basically looking to purchase something for my home studio and thus far it seems like the 896 and 002R are in the area of what I want (both in terms of features and cost). I've been looking at the 002R for a long time now, but I just started looking at some of the MOTU stuff and it looks awesome. In terms of my needs, I'll mostly be recording live acoustic instruments, some MIDI here and there, but not too much. From what I understand, the MOTU stuff seems to be fantastic for MIDI applications whereas Pro Tools lacks in that area. I also really like the fact that the 896 comes with 8 pre's but are bypassable. I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts. Also, I'm getting the impression that when you buy MOTU hardware, you still have to purchase DP seperately. Am I right on wrong on this?

Brian

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 11/10/2005 - 18:23

MOTU stuff is great. when you buy it , you get a program called Audio Desk, which is digital performer without any midi implementation. The cool thing about there interfaces is that you can use logic with them, DP as a program kinda blows goats. I just upgraded from MOTU and DP to the DIGI 002 *factory * I like it , basic reason for upgrade was the need to have PT because a lot of other studios have it . if that wasn't the case I would kept motu and gotten logic because I disliked performer, really depends on your needs.

anonymous Wed, 11/16/2005 - 23:40

gilligan204 wrote: kinda blows goats.

I haven't heard that one in a long time!!! Nice!

A lot of people really like DP, however. I have the 828mkii but recently bought the 002R because I need to use protools too. The 828 was rock solid on both Mac and PC. Great unit.

Really depends on your software choice. If you are going to use Pro Tools your decision is made. PT 7 is supposed to have much improved midi implementation.

AG

anonymous Tue, 11/22/2005 - 10:41

I dont really agree that DP is weaker than PT. I used to love PT and worked on protools HD with the PT24 board for a few years. And though i would agree that Protools is killer, that was before they came out with DP 4.6
Which blows protools out of the water in almost every catagory. not just midi (which is a very easy application... so any program can probobly do it just fine). DP began as a midi program for DJ's and such in like 1998. But since then, they have become the leaders... moreso than digidesign in my opinion, in the high tech audio world. Obviously people consider PT to be the standard, but that thought is outdated. DP works better with macs, and their hardware is better than Digidesigns (who recently started to lessen the quality of pre-amps and components for no apparent reason... since thier stuff isnt getting any cheaper).

You dont get DP with the hardware. which was a big turn off for me originally... but i finally bit the bullet and bought it, and it was so worth it. The support, the speed, the plugins, the ease and capabilitys destroy protools. ESPECIALLY protools LE. and i'm comparing it to the hardcore father: PT HD!

i would go MOTU... its better stuff

maintiger Tue, 11/22/2005 - 13:39

Actually, Digital performer has been been around since 1985 - though then it was but a midi program called performer. In 1990 motu offered digital performer, which was performer plus digital audio. I myself have been doing first performer and then digital performer since 1992.
Digital performer is a mac only program, sorry pcers. Also, Digital performer can be used as the front end of a pt rig. many film scores chose to do just that.