Skip to main content

Hi,

Im currently choosing between two 192k firewire products. all seem to have the same physical inputs and outputs.

however MOTU Traveller (http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler/features.html) states it has 20in/22out but i cant see how that is possible from the pics.. how do you use all the inputs/outputs? The Edirol FA-101 (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/fa101.html) states it has 10in/10out however it has the same number of in/outs as the traveller?

The main input i will be using is my guitar. the FA-101 has the HI-Z/LO-Z feature for directly connecting a guitar, does the traveller have a similar feature?

Also which is the better unit from a sound quanity perspective? The traveller isn't all that much more expensive either.

I'll be using CubaseSX3 if that helps. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Topic Tags

Comments

John Stafford Sat, 01/08/2005 - 06:34

The MOTU has digital inputs as well as analog. The MOTU is also more flexible. The recorded sound quality on Edirol equipment is generally as good as that on MOTU, but it is not aimed at the professional market, and you are likely to find it limiting when you go beyond the most basic recordings. Chances are you will eventually want to use better preamps, and possibly converters too, in which case you can still use your Traveller to get your signal onto your computer. The digial input options on the Edirol are almost non-existent -just a single optical s/pdif if I remember correctly.

Edirol offers value for money by making certain compromises, and buying this unit only makes sense when the price difference is huge; so -if you can manage it- the Motu is definitely the better option. If you ever upgrade, the Edirol might make a good door-stop, but that's about it.

BTW, on both of these boxes there will be limited functionality when you are using 192k.

I think the jacks on the MOTU are designed so you can just plug your guitar in without changing the impedance, but you should check this out with someone else first.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

John Stafford

PS Depending on the street price of the Traveler, the Edirol prices might drop further, so your decision might still be a difficult one. Perhaps the price of the rather more expensive RME Fireface might take a tumble as well.

anonymous Sat, 01/08/2005 - 17:09

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean when you say i will have limited functionality when using 192k?

The RME Fireface is almost twice the price of the traveller at the moment. (I can get the traveller wholesale thought my company and save $500AU off the RRP)

I think i would prefer the traveller.. but the input/output issue still confuses me a bit.

Thanks,
MARK.

John Stafford Tue, 01/11/2005 - 11:55

Hi Mark
The price difference between the RME and the Traveler is a bit more than I thought, but that's because the latter appears to be available for a particularly good price.

By limited funtionality I mean the number and type of digital ins and outs might not all be available at the same time (although very few units allow any sort of decent digital 192k inputs). You'll notice that the Traveler has an optical ADAT port. This will allow eight digital channels in and out at 48k, but only four at 96k. On the MOTU, you should note that the s/pdif in is 96kHz maximum. This stuff is only relevant when you're using external analog to digital converters. As far as I can see, you'll be able to use all eight of the analog ins and eight outs at every sample rate, and at the same time (but don't take my word for it!).

On the Edirol, as far as I know, you can only use six analog inputs at 192k.

Unless you have seriously expensive converters, 192k won't make any real difference, and, although many will say the same about 96k, I believe the difference is audible -even on much cheaper machines.

If I were you, I'd buy the Traveler.

Cheers!
John

x

User login