Skip to main content

Here is an interesting one...

I got my Fireface up and running with Cubase SX3 on my laptop (Vaio) with no problems.

I recorded a concert last night with no problems and it sounds great!

I have the same setup with my studio PC, but whenever I open Cubase I get a small bit of digital distortion through the phone monitor (chan 9/10) when Cubase tries to latch onto the Fireface.

I have no playback meters or audio in TotalMix or Cubase, except when I get the initial distort on loading. No glory in Sound Forge either, so it seems to be on the RME side of things.

I have checked all the prefs and VST connections on both machines and they appear to be set up identical. The Fireface has the 2.4 driver and firmware update.

The only difference I can tell is the laptop uses a 800 (9 pin) to 400 (4 pin) firewire cable and I am going 800 to 800 cable with the desktop.

I am going to try either a 9 to 6 pin or 6 to 6 pin cable to see if that kills the distortion and no playback issue. It would be nice to actually use the 800 side though!

I read the tech updates on RME's site, but am wary about getting another PCI card. According to my card specs, it should be ok.

Have any of you run into this problem? Was there another solution? Thanks so much for any help!

I highly recommend this interface! It sounds amazing. Even the seasoned house crew at the concert venue were inpressed with my, "28 track studio in a carry-on bag"! 8-)

Comments

anonymous Tue, 12/27/2005 - 21:13

Thanks to George and the nice people @ RME and Synthax. I got it fixed! Turns out my cheesy E-Mu card was mucking things up on the IRQ side of things.

Buh-bye E-Mu. Stick to Creative consumer sound cards for the masses. Blah...

And I highly recommend the SIIG Firewire 800 PCI card. A quality piece!

So here is the new bug! Wheeeee!

Everything is set-up ok with the device and the VST connections. I have perfect synch and monitoring with the Fireface. I am able to record and playback with no problems.

I just don't have any meters showing in Cubase while monitoring! Fireface meters are just fine.

Of course, during playback I get the Cubase meters back. But as soon as I hit the monitor on the channel, NADA.

The weird thing is I got the meters back after switching sample rates from 48 to 44.1 and back again in Cubase (Fireface set at 48 and Master clock). They just appeared and seemed to be working great. Then when I tried to insert an effect on the active input channel (mic pre 1/input 7 on Fireface, Audio 7 in Cubase) I lost the meters and couldn't monitor the effect. After deleting the effect insert, I could not get any of the meters back even after trying the previous steps with the sample rate. I can playback and record while monitoring. Just no meters.

Anyone want to enlighten me on what I am missing here?

I know Pro Tools in, out, and sideways. I just can't afford to step up to their next level. So I thought I'd give Cubase a run and I'm still new to it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!