Skip to main content

I was doing a recording session last week and was recording drums. I ran out of mics for the drum kit so one of the guys brought a SM58 with him. We used the sm 58 Hanging right over the Ride cymbal, about 2 inches up and away from the bell.
I ran that thru the RNP preamp and I was pleasantly surprised. Acutally blown away.

This was one of the nicest sounding Ride's I ever recorded. Just my 2 cents but what a great combo...

Highly recommended !

Comments

KurtFoster Tue, 03/29/2005 - 12:04

dlt123 wrote: [quote=Kurt Foster]Still listening to it ...

Take your time, I am really interested in this unit and will gladly wait for a good honest appraisal of the Brick.

I've researched quite a few pres over that last few weeks and feel submerged in info and decisions. :?

I recently looked at a Focusrite Platinum TwinTrak Pro Duel Channel Strip and wonder if it is any good. Any thoughts on this unit Kurt or know where I can find some reviews on TT Pro?

The Best,
DennisT

Dennis,
I do not care at all for any of the Focusrite Platinum series ... The Red Range and R. Neve designed stuff is great as is the more affordable ISA range but the Platinum range uses monolithic op amps, and SMT. I am not even sure if they are transformer balanced. The Platinum range is (IMO) mid level, overpriced, marketing hype, aimed at the novice and unexperenced home recordist, that exploits Foucusrites good name. Platinum range stuff would be a great value for those just learning or getting into recording, perhaps at 1/3rd the price but would still not deliver the kind of performance the Red and ISA range does.

Check out John Hardys web site at http://www.johnhardyco.com ...

There are some very good articles there in the links section in regards to what makes a great mic pre. I recommend reading the Article "Outboard Mic Preamps: What's the Deal? It's all in there and laid out much better that I ever could.

anonymous Tue, 03/29/2005 - 15:36

Kurt Foster wrote: [quote=dlt123][quote=Kurt Foster]Still listening to it ...

Take your time, I am really interested in this unit and will gladly wait for a good honest appraisal of the Brick.

I've researched quite a few pres over that last few weeks and feel submerged in info and decisions. :?

I recently looked at a Focusrite Platinum TwinTrak Pro Duel Channel Strip and wonder if it is any good. Any thoughts on this unit Kurt or know where I can find some reviews on TT Pro?

The Best,
DennisT

Dennis,
I do not care at all for any of the Focusrite Platinum series ... The Red Range and R. Neve designed stuff is great as is the more affordable ISA range but the Platinum range uses monolithic op amps, and SMT. I am not even sure if they are transformer balanced. The Platinum range is (IMO) mid level, overpriced, marketing hype, aimed at the novice and unexperenced home recordist, that exploits Foucusrites good name. Platinum range stuff would be a great value for those just learning or getting into recording, perhaps at 1/3rd the price but would still not deliver the kind of performance the Red and ISA range does.

Check out John Hardys web site at http://www.johnhardyco.com ...

There are some very good articles there in the links section in regards to what makes a great mic pre. I recommend reading the Article "Outboard Mic Preamps: What's the Deal? It's all in there and laid out much better that I ever could.

Thank you Kurt, I'll check your link and do more research. Can't wait to hear what you finally think of the Brick.

Thanks again and take care,
DennisT

JeffSanders Wed, 04/06/2005 - 07:21

The Brick is just a sick-assed pre!

I've had mine for a few weeks. It seems like one of those pieces of equipment that will become a classic.

For dynamic recordings, it's incredible...soft to slamming acoustic guitar is all captured in awesome quality and added thickness. It's the Bee's Balls.

Like Kurt said, the location of the ins/outs and power switches is odd at first. But for this price, big deal.

At first, I was going to sell my RNP. But my test song used a RNP on an acoustic guitar panned hard right. It gave it a very aggressive, cutting sound and the Brick-recorded guitar (panned hard left) created a sound together so three-dimensional that my jaw is still on the ground.

For my needs, this combination is mesmeric - sounding.

anonymous Wed, 04/06/2005 - 07:38

JeffSanders wrote: The Brick is just a sick-assed pre!

I've had mine for a few weeks. It seems like one of those pieces of equipment that will become a classic.

For dynamic recordings, it's incredible...soft to slamming acoustic guitar is all captured in awesome quality and added thickness. It's the Bee's Balls.

Like Kurt said, the location of the ins/outs and power switches is odd at first. But for this price, big deal.

At first, I was going to sell my RNP. But my test song used a RNP on an acoustic guitar panned hard right. It gave it a very aggressive, cutting sound and the Brick-recorded guitar (panned hard left) created a sound together so three-dimensional that my jaw is still on the ground.

For my needs, this combination is mesmeric - sounding.

I keep reading where people are getting this pre for around $350 street price. Does anyone know who on the net or brick and motor is offering the Brick for $350?

Thanks,
DennisT

JeffSanders Wed, 04/06/2005 - 08:03

I hear people are getting them as low as $325 at Guitar Center.

After stalking Ebay for weeks, I decided noone was parting with them for cheap at all...you just won't find them used.

That just told me to just pay the $399 for it from an online dealer. I think of the extra as "karma cash". 8-)

It's well-worth it.

Reggie Wed, 04/06/2005 - 13:38

I think the reason they set up the ins and outs the way they did was because they originally intended it to be used as a rugged, good-quality preamp in a roll-cage for the stage; which explains why it has the in and out set up in line (in front, out back) and the rubber feet. I guess they thought that they would market to the occassional picky singer that requires nothing less than a great tube preamp for their golden voice no matter where they sing. :roll: But lo and behold, a few of us crafty individuals have found that it works great as a recording preamp and word is spreading! And now let us rejoice and give thanks.

KurtFoster Wed, 04/06/2005 - 14:11

Reggie wrote: .... now let us rejoice and give thanks.

I am thankful that someone has finally come out with a "real" mic pre at a price that almost anyone can swing.

I have felt like "The Lone Ranger" here sometimes for the past few years, spouting off about the advantages of a really good mic pre. Now a lot more of you have the opportunity to hear the difference for yourselves. The response has been nothing short of amazing.

In the near future, I suspect we will see a rash of affordable quality mic pre products hit the market. All that RNP, Platinum, Octopre and PreSonus (among other) stuff is going to be seen for what it really is, a lame attempt at filling the gap between the low and high end with no significant improvement over the basic mic pres found in a small format mixer.. These manufacturers are going to be forced to deliver the goods at a reasonable price or sink. I have hoped that this would come to pass for some time now and this has been a large part of my insistence that decent power supplies and serviceable build quality should be a requirement for consideration and not just "wishful thinking". I always suspected that if pushed hard enough, the manufacturers could and would respond. I am not claiming credit for this coming to pass BTW, many people have been making a ruckus over this topic for quite some time. I am just happy to be able to say I was one of many.

"The Brick" is the first mic pre (IMO) that has bridged the gap successfully. Get ready for a lot more of this kind of quality to hit the market in response. 8-)

anonymous Wed, 04/06/2005 - 16:36

Kurt Foster wrote: [quote=Reggie].... now let us rejoice and give thanks.

I am thankful that someone has finally come out with a "real" mic pre at a price that almost anyone can swing.

I have felt like "The Lone Ranger" here sometimes for the past few years, spouting off about the advantages of a really good mic pre. Now a lot more of you have the opportunity to hear the difference for yourselves. The response has been nothing short of amazing.

In the near future, I suspect we will see a rash of affordable quality mic pre products hit the market. All that RNP, Platinum, Octopre and PreSonus (among other) stuff is going to be seen for what it really is, a lame attempt at filling the gap between the low and high end with no significant improvement over the basic mic pres found in a small format mixer.. These manufacturers are going to be forced to deliver the goods at a reasonable price or sink. I have hoped that this would come to pass for some time now and this has been a large part of my insistence that decent power supplies and serviceable build quality should be a requirement for consideration and not just "wishful thinking". I always suspected that if pushed hard enough, the manufacturers could and would respond. I am not claiming credit for this coming to pass BTW, many people have been making a ruckus over this topic for quite some time. I am just happy to be able to say I was one of many.

"The Brick" is the first mic pre (IMO) that has bridged the gap successfully. Get ready for a lot more of this kind of quality to hit the market in response. 8-)

Hey Kurt, I am considering one of three pres... The Brick, Grace 101 and the RNP. I think I know how you feel about the RNP, but how does the Grace 101 stand up to the Brick?

... and while I'm here, what is it you don't like about the RNP?

Thanks in advance,
DennisT

KurtFoster Wed, 04/06/2005 - 17:15

Dennis,
First let me say ... I have not ever used the Grace 101. The RNP, which I have assessed is real ok ... about the same thing as the pres you would find in most table top mixers, perhaps (very subjectively) a bit better. I made a comparison of the RNP to a Mackie vlz pre and posted the result as a blind comparison and asked readers to respond as to which they preferred ... the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the Mackie pre.

The problem as I see it with both the 101 and the RNP is the lack of a decent power supply. Because they don't have a good power supply, everything from that point on is a design compromise IMO. In terms of the Grace pre their saving "grace" (har har) is they offer the 201 ... a better implemented design based on a sufficient power supply. I pose the question if the 101 was really good, what's the point of the 201? The 101 is designed to fill a budget conscious niche' in the marketplace.

Some will say the RNP is a "high amperage device" and doesn't need more than 8 volts dc. I think 8 volts just doesn't get it. Neither does 12 or 16 v. Most really good power supplies need to run at 24 volts or more, just to provide adequate phantom power to your condenser mics. Can you feature powering a 48 dc volt LD condenser with an 8 volt dc power supply? (can you spell c-h-o-k-e?). That's what's happening with the RNP and the 101 and all other mic pres that use line lumps and wall warts.

Now I am in this way over my head at this point ... I just know what sounds good to me and what doesn't ... and based on past experiences I make certain assumptions, which to this point have served me well. One of these is a very robust power supply is an absolute necessity.

John Hardy does a much better job of explaining all of this on his web site http://www.johnhardyco.com Click on the links section and check out "Outboard Mic Pres: What's the deal?".

anonymous Wed, 04/06/2005 - 18:38

Kurt Foster wrote: Dennis,
First let me say ... I have not ever used the Grace 101. The RNP, which I have assessed is real ok ... about the same thing as the pres you would find in most table top mixers, perhaps (very subjectively) a bit better. I made a comparison of the RNP to a Mackie vlz pre and posted the result as a blind comparison and asked readers to respond as to which they preferred ... the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the Mackie pre.

The problem as I see it with both the 101 and the RNP is the lack of a decent power supply. Because they don't have a good power supply, everything from that point on is a design compromise IMO. In terms of the Grace pre their saving "grace" (har har) is they offer the 201 ... a better implemented design based on a sufficient power supply. I pose the question if the 101 was really good, what's the point of the 201? The 101 is designed to fill a budget conscious niche' in the marketplace.

Some will say the RNP is a "high amperage device" and doesn't need more than 8 volts dc. I think 8 volts just doesn't get it. Neither does 12 or 16 v. Most really good power supplies need to run at 24 volts or more, just to provide adequate phantom power to your condenser mics. Can you feature powering a 48 dc volt LD condenser with an 8 volt dc power supply? (can you spell c-h-o-k-e?). That's what's happening with the RNP and the 101 and all other mic pres that use line lumps and wall warts.

Now I am in this way over my head at this point ... I just know what sounds good to me and what doesn't ... and based on past experiences I make certain assumptions, which to this point have served me well. One of these is a very robust power supply is an absolute necessity.

John Hardy does a much better job of explaining all of this on his web site http://www.johnhardyco.com Click on the links section and check out "Outboard Mic Pres: What's the deal?".

Thanks for your input Kurt. I'm still learning and do want a good pre. I've heard nothing but great kudo's for the Grace 101.

I value your opinion and will still research till I make my decision. I need to be swayed from the 101. I do like the sound on the Brick and had a chance to compare it to other pres on another site.

Those interested can go here to view the thread...

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=147340

My plan is to get the Rode Nt2-A mic and possibly the Brick or the Grace 101 or 201.

I'm only doing this as a hobby and only for myself. Even so, I do want to get a quality pre and mic.

Thanks again for taking time to respond. You've made me rethink my choices again. :roll:

DennisT

maintiger Thu, 04/07/2005 - 08:15

The grace 101 is really clean- maybe too clean for some apps. I got the hi gain version to use with my old RCA D77 mic and it really shines with that mic. - this is mostly for jazz, latin jazz and folk and/or acoustic music. For other mics and for rock I usually get a different pre- the grace has no ummmp for that. i also got of couple of K2 mics and the grace is pretty cool for vocals with these- actually, the k2 has a lotta attitude in cardioid (I usually put it about 10-11 oclock between cardioid nd omni for vocals) the grace tames this mic in cardioid a bit, which works good for some apps, including like soft rock- hey, that's why we have to have different flavors, so we can pick the best for the job at hand

anonymous Thu, 04/07/2005 - 11:56

Kurt,

Can you give us a description of the sound of the Brick? It has more design similarites with the higher end pres than the RNP for example, does it sound closer to the higher end pres? how is it colored? etc...

This really seems like it could be break through product, just hoping it's not to good to be true... :wink:

Thanks

KurtFoster Thu, 04/07/2005 - 12:24

I'm not going to say too much more about the sound ... I'll save it for the review. I gave a basic impression of how it compares to a Sebatron vmp ... a little more mid range and a bit more "grunt".

Yes, after hearing "The Brick", I would say it compares to the high end stuff very favorably. It's built like the high end stuff, it sounds like the high end stuff but it's priced like a RNP ... absolutely a breakthrough. I think a manufacturer finally saw there is a huge potential market for something like this.

In the past, I haven't been a big fan of Groove Tubes mics. When I first heard of "The Brick" I was very skeptical. But after hearing what type of topology they were using, my interest was peaked. I'm very glad I tried these babies out. This is the real deal folks.