Skip to main content

Since acquiring the MOTU 896HD, my Mackie 1202 sits in a closet, as the 896 handles all my input needs. But, I just read a great article in the latest EM mag, that talks about routing track outputs back thru analog gear and effects then to new tracks or as sidechains, etc. for some really cool results.

Does anyone like the Mackie pres for any particular purpose, or is it Ebay time for the old Mackie. Just trying to save some trial and error time if possible.

Thanks,
John

Comments

anonymous Thu, 08/25/2005 - 08:06

Honestly, I'd keep the Mackie mixer. The monetary value you will get back on that thing won't be much to write home to mom about and I can think of a dozen purposes for having an extra, small compact mixer at hand. I have a Mackie 24-8 board and a Motu 24 i/o and I still find myself sometimes using my small mackie VLZ board for stuff. For example, there was an instance I can recall just recently where a friend referred me to a new client who wrote mostly Top 40 Piano music (norah jones, vanessa carlton, elton john)...anyways he insisted on using the Steinway at his local music recital hall. I brought my Daw and the VLZ board (would have been a pain bringing 24 channel thing up all those stairs to the 7th floor - elevator was down that day :x ) And I used the pre's on the board. I have also done some live recording with that board, an echo indigo card, and my laptop. Sometimes in the studio I'll use it if all 24 tracks on my board are occupied and I don't want to bounce or condense them any more than they already are. Or sometimes it can be great for a headphone mixer. Lots of uses for a utility compact mixer like that. If you are going to sell it I would recommend selling it with something in mind that you want to purchase and upgrade to. Don't sell it just for pocket cash unless you are in dire straits. Find a piece of gear you want, that you wont outgrow, and take the money to put towards that. Otherwise I don't think there really is a justification for selling it at this point.

AudioGaff Thu, 08/25/2005 - 13:33

Don't think of the 1202 as just a mixer. Think of it as a analog swiss army knife. That's how I think and use mine. While I don't have a dedicated role for it, It is a portable 4-ch mic pre/DI, sub-mixer or stereo source mixer for keys, samplers, ect.., patchbay, external gear interface, bal to unbal or unbal to bal converter and much, much more.

JoeH Thu, 08/25/2005 - 14:09

I'll take your 1202 VLZ pro off your hands any time you want to move it. I've got several Mackies for several different purposes. One of my 1202 VLZ's is my keybaord submixer/sidecar way from my main mixer/monitoring area, which is now a 1220 ONYX.

I've got a variety of other VLZ Pro mixers and ONYX as well; you can never have enough small mixers with good specs for all kinds of submixing jobs. (And as soon as you sell it, you'll probably find something you needed it for anyway!)

moonbaby Thu, 08/25/2005 - 14:14

AudioGaff:
Thanks for justifying the 1202 to the others. I have seen that little booger ( and Mackies in general) get bashed by some. I have a 1202 and a 1202VLZ and I use them just as you described. Submixing keys and drum mics, as a patching interface, etc. I, too, have referred to mine as "the Swiss Army Knife" of audio accessories. And because the power supply isn't being taxed by 16 channels and tons of LEDs, it seems to have better headroom than many other products....IMHO it is the ONLY "real" mini-mixer out there (OK, the Coopers and Sonatecs, but their price...).Thanks!

anonymous Sun, 08/28/2005 - 12:55

Thank you all for your comments!! I guess it is unanimus... I'm keeping my 1202 and will experiment with some techniques to broaden my sound palet.

PS, sorry it took so long for me to get back here, we've been without power for 4 days, thanks to Katrina. No a/c in Miami this time of year is not a lot of fun, but it's nothing compared to what the poor folks in New Orleans have to look forward to!!

TeddyG Sun, 08/28/2005 - 15:53

Indeed, a little Mackie would be tough to get rid of due to it's good quality, and for it's utility, but, I didn't see any actual comment on whether the Mackie could be used for any "special effect(?)", as it were?

Has anyone run back through a Mackie pre to "dirty-up"(Maybe I shouldn't say that!) or otherwise alter(Positively) their "sounds"?

Meanwhile, glad to hear your power is back in Miami! As I type this out I'm listening to the TV talk of Katrina bearing down on the Gulf Coast... Not pleasant to watch, listen to or think about.....

TG