Skip to main content

I have the optical ins and outs connected between my 002 and my rosetta 800 and I'm connecting my outboard pre's and compressors with proco db25-xlrm/xlrf cables. How do I make Pro Tools always recognize the Rosetta as the clocking source?

On the rosetta the source to digital out is ADAT and source to analog out is Analog, right? If I have a compressor connected from the Analog out (DB-25 to XLRM #1 channel on the snake) how do I use it in Pro Tools? Choose ADAT #1 as an Insert?
I have the settings on the Rosetta like this:
Sample Rate-48 Source to Digital outs-ADAT Output Resolution-24 bit Source to Analog Out-Analog

When I go to Hardware setup and choose External and choose Optical(SPDIF), I get a message saying "The external clock choice is invalid. Reverting to internal." I would really appreciate any help

Comments

anonymous Mon, 05/09/2005 - 21:09

Nope still working on it. Whenever I choose the ADAT for clocking source it says invalid and reverts to internal. If you figure out how to set it up I would be VERY grateful if you could tell me

What am I doing wrong? Ok, this is what I'm doing
Turn on Rosetta
Set sample rate to 48
Set source to digital outs Analog
Output resolution 24-bit
Source to Analog Out ADAT

Open PT create new session
Title it, save it to Audio Drive, 48kHZ sample rate, 24 bit depth Last used I/O settings, Save
I go to Hardware Setup and choose ADAT as clock source. Hit Ok and get the "The external clock source is invalid. Reverting to Internal" message
So I go to Session Setup and choose ADAT as clock source and I again get the same reverting to Invalid message.

I know I'm an idiot and there has to be something really simple and stupid I'm missing, but I have no idea what it is. Sorry to keep bumping this

anonymous Mon, 05/09/2005 - 21:16

Man, now you have me psyched out. I just moved all of my gear into a new studio that I had built in my basement and I haven't been able to test out out my gear yet. The Rosetta arrived when everything was dimantled, I am not looking forward to setting it up after hearing your problems. I should have a chance to set everything up soon, I will let you know how I do!!! Have you tried contacting anyone at Apogee yet?

anonymous Tue, 05/10/2005 - 08:04

Hi I have the same setup and it works great. I use the Rosetta for output monitoring, input, and as master clock for the system. The 002 now only really gets used on drum tracking day. I bought the cal feature for the Rosetta and it works excellent and was very easy to set up. This allows me to tailor the inputs and outputs to different levels to suit the I/O gear. So my Drawmer 1960 gets 1.223 volts=-18dbfs I/O and my Presounus M-80 gets 1 volt =-16dbfs for input. I now monitor thru the Rosetta and it sounds great. One weird thing, I first calibrated the output of the Rosetta to the same output level as the 002R (1 volt = -16dbfs) and while the apparent levels were the same coming out of my balanced input powered speakers, switching between the two outputs (002 versus Rosetta) into my consumer stereo resulted in vastly different levels. Finally figured out it was a load issue. Putting a Peavey +4 to -10 interface amp in line to the consumer amp and then changing the main outputs back up to the "Pro"1.223 volt level solved that.

anonymous Tue, 05/10/2005 - 15:23

WRX07 wrote: hahaha ok i'm officially an idiot. The Output cable on the Rosetta was loose. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it works. heh :oops:

Great News - I haven't had much time to think about it but it was knawing away at me somewhere in the back of my head. Thanks for owning up you saved me a few hours of needless worrying. By the way your not an idiot, just careless!! :wink:

anonymous Thu, 05/19/2005 - 07:34

WRX07 wrote: Nope everythings working out really well just wanted to make sure I was finally done with setting it up. :D

HI,

Did rosetta gave you a big improvement in the output quality jump??
After using Rosetta can you do your recording's or mixing with out it??

I'm planning to buy the Rosetta 800 to use it with Layla 3G sound card & my yamaha o2r v2 what is your advice? I may chang my mixer to Yamaha Dm2000..
I need your help guys...

Regards

Abdullah Al balushi :)

anonymous Thu, 05/19/2005 - 16:09

WRX07 wrote: A-MAZING. Everything seems so much clearer and brighter and it seems like I have more headroom. I'm putting all my outboard gear through it. If you have the money I would definately say get one. My mixes are much louder, clearer, better low end, and just overall better.

Thank you so much WRX07 for the reply,
Is your Rosetta 96 or 192? w one do you advice me to buy?
In what bit & sample rate do you do your recording.
There is an option for the Rosetta 800 the X-Fire Wire card to make the Rosetta 800 works as a sound card or interface,
Do you advice me to buy the X-Fire card also?
I'm using PC not Mac with sonar4 producer Ed,My mic's are Neumann M149 Jubilee, AT-5040 AKG c3000 Sure KSM44,My mixer is O2r v2 but I'm planning to buy the DM2000 v2 or Change my way to the pro tools HD system with mac just waiting to get the chance after 2 or 3 month to do a test drive, cuz I never used pro tools but I've order the HD3 system for the place I work for, but I will order the Rosetta 800 very soon.
Thanks again & sorry for asking so many questions.

Regards,
Abdullah Al balushi