Skip to main content

Anyone familiar with this dual mic preamp? I've read some convincing reviews on the Vintech x73 but I am interested in a dual pre and have not seen anything on this unit.

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Mon, 05/20/2002 - 20:25

Hi Bernard:

I've owned a Vintech 1272 for quite some time, and I use it constantly.

You'll hear a lot of stuff about how it doens't sound as good as a "real" Neve, or how it was never originally designed as a mic amp, but a talkback/line amp, etc.

All that is, I'm sure, completely true. All I know is, dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat. I've used it on bass, kick, snare, electric guitar, horns, and a lot of other stuff. I tend to like tube pres for vocals, but when I've got a real screamer I'll sometimes use it because its got a lot of headrooom.

Since I don't have any real Neves, I may not know what I'm missing - but for me it's an invaluable color/sound that has performed flawlessly for me for years. My other pres are APIs, Tubetech, Daking, Demeter, DACS, and ATI/Paragon - so it's not like I'm using it because everything else I own is garbage.

Nice features include both input and output gain controls, a pair of nice sounding DI's, and LED metering.

There are some other companies making Neve-alikes, but I haven't personally compared them, and most are more costly. I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Good luck!

Kev Mon, 05/20/2002 - 23:13

As there is a reference to 1272 here I just had to drop in for a look.

Yep the 1272 is used as the talkback amp in the old Neve desks and it has many more uses beyond just Talkback.

Check out Group DIY project 1 for details, and check for links to JLM and John Klett and others

http://recording.org/users/kev/
http://recording.org/users/kev/Project1.htm

( geek mode on )

The main ingredient in the 1272 is the BA283 and this little board is used extensively across the Neve desks. It has a pre stage and a power stage. To get the high gains of the main channel amps a second pre stage is used. For the EQ sections a variation of the pre stage is used. One pre-stage and two variants are used on the BA284 board. Add this board to the EQ and filter boards and the above BA283 and a few transformers and you have the famous 1066, 1073, 1078 family of channel strips.

( geek mode off )

I can't afford to own one of these so I have to make one! :D

MadMoose Mon, 05/27/2002 - 19:15

I'm very happy with my Vintech 1272. The "original" 1272 was a line amp. People started modding them and selling them as mic pres. The BA283 module was used all over Neve consoles for routing and other tasks. So when people started chopping consoles up for modules like 1081's and 1073's someone figured out a way to squeeze more money out of the carcass that remained.

Anyway, I like my Vintech and it gets used a lot. I don't know if I'd use it on everything though because it has such a strong color to it. If you want one external mic pre you'd probably be better off with something a little more transparent like an API, John Hardy M1 or Great River.