Skip to main content

I've been in the studio a lot with engineer friends and other bands, so ive heard api's, neves, GR, john hardy, and all that. At home i've just been using some Mackie and dbx pres and have never actually recorded with anything good preamp wise.
Yesterday I finally got my new Vintech 1272 and I'm the happiest kid ever! Everything is so f'ing easy now. Instant good guitar tone, put up a 421 on a 4x12 and the guitars automatically sound as good as the CD's i use for reference. The highs sound smoother, the mids are more in your face, the lows are rounder and just *so* nice. Everything is just plain better.
I've had a smile on my face since about 3 o clock yesterday afternoon and played with it till about 4 this morning. Not really sure of the point of this but. .

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 01/10/2002 - 06:29

planetred

I also have a Vintech 1272. Received it a few weeks back. I've been putting it through the paces lately and have enjoyed it. Like you this is a step up from my current pre-amp situation.

One thing I'm starting notice about the unit though is a bit weaker low end than I would like to hear. Not bad by any means, but a little weak. Also, it seems to be fussier about mics. Especially condensers. It doesn't like my NTK's as much for example. That was a surprise. (although I haven't tried this combo as overheads yet, which is my favorite application for the NTK's. Certain vocals running close second. The NTK's are very weak with loud guitars though. IMHO)The Beyer's fair better with the unit.
I find the Vintech more consistent with dynamic mics all around.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great unit as indicated in another "greenish" post. These are just things I'm starting to notice working with it more and more.

I've got an API 3124+ on it's way to me so that should prove interesting in comparison. Can't wait.

BTW, I notice your a fellow Richmonder. Love to talk with you some time. If your interested you can email me privately with contact info.

Enjoy the Vintech.

Dan-O
Rocket 69

planet red Thu, 01/10/2002 - 07:50

Very interesting. I was planning to order an api 3412+ in a couple weeks. Im also picking up a trident 70 series console (same pre's as the 80). I did try the vintech with my NTK and it was a little underwhelming. I really did like it with either a 57 or 421 though. Yeah give me an email and we could get up sometime. I'm currently tying to put a place together. My email is mynameisandreas@aol.com. I heard my friend ross talking about you the other day. But yeah im rambling and waaaay late.