Skip to main content

Trying to find instructions for analog recording online has been a dead end for me so I’m reaching out here.

My set up is simple:
Mic’d guitar
And mic’d vocal
Goes into Midas DM12 mixer
(All the basic outs are used for PA)

Then I have a Tascam 424 mark III four track recorder and I want to capture this “mix” from the remaining RECORD OUT RCA connection that goes into my Tascam SUB INPUT RCA input.

Should be simple enough but nothing is showing up at my Tascam - no signal.. I’ve been scratching my head all day and do not know how to use it properly. I don’t even know if I’ll need to do something in the mixer to be able to send this signal.

if someone knows how to do this, that’d be great.

Comments

Davedog Fri, 02/26/2021 - 09:32

StupidGuitarist, post: 467856, member: 52518 wrote:
Out from REC OUT RCA
BOTH Aux Masters buttons up (meaning PRE)

The "AUX MASTERS" have NOTHING to do with the signal path here. They are both entire mixers within the mixer with their own outputs and such. I assume you use these as floor monitors etc? The 'pre/post' refers to the EQ section as well as the fader on the channel you add to the aux buss through each channels little faders.

StupidGuitarist, post: 467856, member: 52518 wrote:
Track 4 set on
INPUT MIC/LINE
PAN right

Try channel 1 pan L and channel 2 pan R

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 09:40

Davedog, post: 467871, member: 4495 wrote:
The Tascam manual says it cannot be done. Not on 7/8.

Ok?! Then I’ve completely misunderstood the manual!

I understood the SUB INPUT is there to bring in a line from external source - like a mixing console.

And then I thought the ‘channel’ 7/8 handels that signal, but I’d need to assign one of the four tracks for it..

Maybe I don’t get something here...

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 09:47

Davedog, post: 467868, member: 4495 wrote:
The "AUX MASTERS" have NOTHING to do with the signal path here. They are both entire mixers within the mixer with their own outputs and such. I assume you use these as floor monitors etc? The 'pre/post' refers to the EQ section as well as the fader on the channel you add to the aux buss through each channels little faders.

Try channel 1 pan L and channel 2 pan R

Nada... tried setting them on mic/line and tape too..

Davedog Fri, 02/26/2021 - 09:51

StupidGuitarist, post: 467874, member: 52518 wrote:

I understood the SUB INPUT is there to bring in a line from external source - like a mixing console.

And then I thought the ‘channel’ 7/8 handels that signal, but I’d need to assign one of the four tracks for it..

Page 21 of the Tascam manual

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 09:57

Link555, post: 467878, member: 31690 wrote:
Ok Good News. Ok so now can you re-patch the RCA output of the mixer to the channel 1 and 2 two inputs? Do you have a male RCA to Male 1/4" TS adapters?
RCA to 1/4" TS

I get where you coming from...
don’t have one here...

Wouldn’t the signal be too low or high though?

and this kinda defeats the purpose of connecting the two machines with RCA. Even the manual says connect your mixer to those SUB inputs. Would just need to activate that 7/8 channel and send it to one or even two tracks (stereo).

bouldersound Fri, 02/26/2021 - 10:05

StupidGuitarist, post: 467874, member: 52518 wrote:

The sub input feeds signal to the main output, not to a track (except for striping sync tones onto track 4). Just go into a normal line input. You're over thinking this.

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 10:26

Davedog, post: 467893, member: 4495 wrote:
My last question....What is your assignment positions on the Tascam recording section? Right below the tape window?

I’ve tried both Direct and Buss... Nevertheless, I should be able see the signal moving before I assign anything right? No signal is coming up... I would somehow need to “activate” that 7/8 line. I’ve followed the manual but it is not happening.

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 10:44

Davedog, post: 467896, member: 4495 wrote:
Try this. Buss 1 pan hard L. Buss 2 pan hard right. Keep master down and push record but NOT play. Put you signal out from the mixer. Bring up master fader on Tascam. See meters?

Forget about the 7/8 thing. This is strictly main fader business

It’s been like that all the time.. my main fader has been on full.. tracks are all full too and panned hard left and hard right respectively.

if I press record only nothing happens...

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 10:50

Link555, post: 467898, member: 31690 wrote:
Sub In does not patch through to the tape it only goes to the line out. Adapters(RCA to 1/4") are your best option. If the signal level is too I can show you how to make a pad.

Well then maybe I need to jump cables from the LINE OUT into the MIC/LINE inputs?

What do I know :D
I’m just a guitarist. I need a sound engineer, that’s what I need.

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 11:09

Davedog, post: 467905, member: 4495 wrote:
Those are NOT in the AUX buss. The green cap knobs. The AUX OUTS What are they being used for?

I don’t understand? All the other “outs” go into our PA system...

I am using only the red and white RECORD OUT RCA for the Tascam.

The green sliders you mean - I just pushed them half way since they were there and I was having problems... :D

StupidGuitarist Fri, 02/26/2021 - 11:12

Davedog, post: 467905, member: 4495 wrote:
Those are NOT in the AUX buss. The green cap knobs. The AUX OUTS What are they being used for?

The “Aux Masters” buttons are on “Pre” since I wanted the signal to leave unaltered - the DM12 manual says that with “post” you can alter them - I just didn’t know from where.

Davedog Fri, 02/26/2021 - 11:15

Okay. So I gots ta go. I'll check in later. Here's what you could do and retain your PA function as well as capture what you play and you could get it on ONE TRACK if you so desire.

There are two mono busses on the midas. The green knobs on every track. There is a mixer in the frontend of the tascam....all the eq and input sensitivity pads and monitor and track selection.

StupidGuitarist, post: 467906, member: 52518 wrote:
I don’t understand? All the other “outs” go into our PA system...

I am using only the red and white RECORD OUT RCA for the Tascam.

The green sliders you mean - I just pushed them half way since they were there and I was having problems... :D

ALL THE OUTS? So you are using the AUX Outs for some function now?

The "green sliders" are for the inputs on those two stereo channels right below the DM 12 lettering. YES they should be a different color.

The AUX 1 and AUX 2 outputs are what I am talking about. Two 1/4" jacks between the monitor outs and the DM 12 lettering.

What is plugged into these? SORRY>>>Above the stereo inputs for the two shorter channels with the green sliders.