Skip to main content

Hi guys, does someone know if Behringer ub1832 fx is a good choice for a recording studio?, if isn't could you teel me why, couse i'm about to buy it, please any replays will help me.
thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Tue, 06/21/2005 - 12:52

HansAm wrote: Kurt Foster.. I dont think you should talk to loud about that. You were'nt exactly avoiding a conflict. more like pooring huge amounts of gasoline on a allready big anough fire.
You didnt directly call Coyote an idiot, but figrativly, very well illustrated.
Not very professional IMHO.

This hole personal conflict could have been and should have been avoided.

Ok since you want to examine it lets do just that ...

CoyoteTrax posted ...

CoyoteTrax wrote: I have nothing but good things to say about the UB series boards. If you take the time to learn how to properly use gain staging on those boards and you're matching impedences correctly in your signal path you will have absolutely no problem with noise and it's a very useable tool.

The pre's are decent if you're looking for something that doesn't color the sound in any way and is relatively transparent. For the money it's not a bad buy but you might want to consider a Soundcraft Compact 10 as well. MusiciansFriend is blowing them out for about the same price ($179?) and they're a bit of a better board in my opinion.

to which I replied ....

You're kidding? :roll:
When I hear people tout a board or mic pre by saying things like ...

CoyoteTrax wrote:
"If you take the time to learn how to properly use gain staging on those boards and you're matching impedences correctly in your signal path you will have absolutely no problem with noise and it's a very useable tool ..... The pre's are decent if you're looking for something that doesn't color the sound in any way and is relatively transparent.
"

.... I just have to smile. There is not one modern pre amp or mixer on the market that this cannot be said about. It's kind of like saying, "Date my sister, she has a pulse". It doesn't guarantee that she doesn't smell bad or have a face that looks like a mud fence. The first question I would ask is why do you feel you need a mixer and what are you going to do with it? If you are going to track with it, don't expect to get radio friendly recordings. The second question to ask is does it sound good? The answer is NO!

[quote=CoyoteTrax]

For the money it's not a bad buy but you might want to consider a Soundcraft Compact 10 as well. MusiciansFriend is blowing them out for about the same price ($179?) and they're a bit of a better board in my opinion.

Well a little better in terms of build quality, QC and customer service but if you are talking about the sound, yeah a bit of an improvment but still no cigar. These small mixers really are fine for PA or monitoring DAW inputs but I would not pass a signal to a recorder through one if I had any other option.

To which he replied ... with much sarcasem

CoyoteTrax wrote: Then perhaps you could recommend something else in that price range that's worth mentioning, Kurt.

This is the "Budget Gear" section after all. Perhaps in your vast experience and supreme knowledge you could enlighten us all (or at least me) as to what is a better mixer in that price range.

Personally, I have a UB that I use from time to time and I'm always surprised at how useful it is for the money. But that's just me and I'm not quite as hung as you are.

That was the personal insult. I did not insult CoyoteTrax in the least ... perhaps he felt insulted because his judgment was questioned by someone who was "hung" and who held "vast experience and supreme knowledge". He went on to assert that I had no business commenting because I don't use "budget gear" and that I am out of touch and I am not activly recording ... to which I will say absolutely not the case .. at least as far as the latter is concerned.

I'm allowed to voice my opinion too. That's all I did. pepon asked a question .. and Coyote Trax replied to which I supplied a rebuttal ... it's called debating. I never insulted him personally. I did venture a few guesses as to why he would make those comment about the Behringer and the comments about me and my opinions. I will let those remarks stand as they are. But if you re read the whole thread Hans, I'm sure you will see it was CoyoteTrax that was insulting me and not the other way around. I did not set out to or try to make him look like an idiot ... he did that all by himself.

CoyoteTrax Tue, 06/21/2005 - 15:05

Geez Kurt, in this last run of posts you've done a pretty good job of trashing me. I know we got under each other's skin there for a bit but I thought we had just let that go. I guess not.

For a moderator at this forum you sure lay down the "trash talk" more than I would expect. But I guess that's the forum's problem and not mine.

Also, I can assure you that I don't work for any distributors or manufacturers or vendors or pro studio's. So please let that dog just lay, if you would be so kind. I hate it when people make assumptions online and begin to cast "dispersions" based on those assumptions. If you are so much in doubt about someone's authenticity you might try just asking them next time. However, I'll save you the trouble and simply say that I am authentically just some guy in New Mexico that has a home recording studio. Plain and simple.

I don't see where anyone asked you to examine that temporary rift between you and I either (unless I missed something). So maybe we could both just let it go.

But I can't resist...

You have stated several times that you were just simply offering your opinion on Behringer gear and I sure don't mind people expressing their opinion. I do so every chance I get. But your choice of verbage sometimes is anything But opinion and instead is laden with contempt, hostility, and hyper-judgemental sarcasm. It's one thing to say you don't believe something is useful or accurate in reproduction of signal or that a piece of gear is unreliable. But when you get so colorful in your verbage about products and gear you might want to be a little more careful because there are people that actually make great use out of what you consider "trash". And some folks can (and will) take your sarcasm and underlying energetic dispositions personally.

In other words...don't try to pawn off your BS as just a "noble opinion" when it's obviously nothing less than spiteful.

And I sure don't see where I'm the one who came off as an idiot when you so blantantly illustrate in every single post all over this forum how desperately you need to SPELL CHECK your posts.

I'm actually a pretty nice guy, even if I do enjoy my UB1204FX from time to time. But that's just my opinion. :wink:

KurtFoster Thu, 06/23/2005 - 20:32

I apologize for putting everyone through all this. I tried to get it back on topic a while ago. In many situations like this, I would have simply walked away pages ago. But .....

1) My trade in stock is my opinion ... and when someone comes along and questions it and my credibility , I feel compelled to defend myself.

2) It really matters to me that the advice given here on ROs pages is correct ... and when I see something posted that I know is bad advice, again I feel compelled to speak out.

This is how I am and most likely how I will remain even though I do my best to temper myself ... Sorry if I offend but at least you all know what I say comes from the heart, not the wallet.

Now please, let's do move on ....

Kurt

Guest Fri, 06/24/2005 - 17:45

CoyoteTrax wrote: Did I do something to offend?

Well maybe you could take it easy on Kurt.
He is the man, and there aren't too many post on here called "CoyoteTrax"
But how many there have been called "Kurt Foster" or "Hey Kurt"
Or just "Kurt" I have lost count. :oops:
So a lot of people come here just to hear what he will say.
Until you get a fan base like that, well just show some respect.

Guest Fri, 06/24/2005 - 18:30

HansAm wrote: Respect is'nt something you should automaticly get. You gotta earn it.

Well I'm not trying to start a pissing contest HansAm. But Kurt knows his sh!t. And how is Kurt gonna "earn" your respect over the internet?
He's aloud to say whatever he wants just like the rest of us. His paycheck is the same as yours on this web-site
Zero
How professional do you want someone to be for wages like that?

I say, be yourself. Say what you think, and Paleese don't bullsh!t me.
And I will respect you just as much as anyone on here

The truth is... I "really" dont know anyone on here. I have never even met anyone from this forum, so how could I even truthfully say "I know" you or Kurt. I dont know audiokid or BigD or BigDave or of course my favorite, Frob :lol:
But I will respect you reguardless, especially and if you have 7000 or more post, then I will def. respect you.

CoyoteTrax Fri, 06/24/2005 - 19:47

I really don't understand the whole thing actually and think it's ridiculous. Ridiculous.

If I had been in the Pro Audio section touting the benefits of a Behringer board I could understand the criticism. I really could. And I assure you that you will never see me in the Pro Audio section touting or praising Behringer gear. It would be inappropriate.

But we're here in the BUDGET GEAR forum. And I made a statement that is absolutely and utterly truthful when viewed in the context of a BUDGET GEAR forum. And while I favor a wide variety of gear for different applications in vastly different price categories I have found (in my own experience) that UB boards are as sonically useful as ANYTHING else in it's price range. Simple, truthful, and absolutely correct. Slice it anyway you want but it still comes up in keeping with the spirit and intention of this particular forum. If it weren't, I would certainly expect the moderator to tell me I was "out of line". Right?

I made honest and truthful statements as they apply specifically to cheap gear and I did it in a positive and helpful way. As a matter of fact I've given nothing but helpful and honest posts since I signed up here. I have no idea why Anyone would have a beef with me.

On the other hand, Pepon asks about a 10 channel cheap mixer that streets at $229 and Kurt suggests the guy wait and save up for 1 stinking channel that streets at $400. The Brick is a Pro Audio pre/DI. It's in a totally different category of gear. In my opinion (wait...I'm still entitled to have one of those, aren't I?) he gave the guy inappropriate advice and at the same time sleighted my opinion as laughable...and I don't take too kindly to that.

Kurt showed me no respect whatsoever. I, in turn, showed him none. I don't know Kurt and could care less. Honestly. I haven't lived on this planet for 40 years just to take sh*t from somebody who has an emotional trigger for anyone who says they like something made by Behringer. Anybody that doesn't like that attitude or philosophy can cry about it to someone who cares. Because I really don't.

KurtFoster Fri, 06/24/2005 - 23:17

"I try to walk away but they keep pulling me back in" Michael Corleone

OK in the context of this thread, on topic and not getting personal.

UB boards are as sonically useful as ANYTHING else in it's price range. Simple, truthful, and absolutely correct. Slice it anyway you want but it still comes up in keeping with the spirit and intention of this particular forum.

Again I ask (you never addressed this question in the first place) Is there any piece of modern gear on the market that this cannot be said about?

The answer is no there isn't. On top of that, is there even anything that is is comparable in any way that is as inexpensive ... again no there isn't. So that is certainly not a glowing recommendation is it? It's a simple stating of the facts without mentioning that it's a cheap, noisy POS that isn't even intended for recording. A 9 band graphic eq? On board effects? Again I ask, are you kidding ? .

And again I say budget doesn't have to mean crap :!:

stickers Fri, 06/24/2005 - 23:24

CoyoteTrax wrote: I really don't understand the whole thing actually and think it's ridiculous. Ridiculous.

If I had been in the Pro Audio section touting the benefits of a Behringer board I could understand the criticism. I really could. And I assure you that you will never see me in the Pro Audio section touting blah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaH..blah BLAH bLaH

blah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaHblah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaH blah BLAH bLaH.....

Did anyone else interpet this last post by CoyoteTrak the same way?

Shut your pie hole, dweeb. Coyote you have now become a jack n' the box submitter. I rotate the handle on the side of the box. It repeats the same silly comments but when the clown pops out, im never surprised to see you.

The only thing "ridiculous" here is that you can still type after having that lobotomy but of course it does explains why you "dont understand".

CoyoteTrax Sat, 06/25/2005 - 14:21

Kurt Foster wrote: "I try to walk away but they keep pulling me back in" Michael Corleone

OK in the context of this thread, on topic and not getting personal.

UB boards are as sonically useful as ANYTHING else in it's price range. Simple, truthful, and absolutely correct. Slice it anyway you want but it still comes up in keeping with the spirit and intention of this particular forum.

Again I ask (you never addressed this question in the first place) Is there any piece of modern gear on the market that this cannot be said about?

***So if that statement is correct then what's your beef?

The answer is no there isn't. On top of that, is there even anything that is is comparable in any way that is as inexpensive ... again no there isn't. So that is certainly not a glowing recommendation is it? It's a simple stating of the facts without mentioning that it's a cheap, noisy POS that isn't even intended for recording. A 9 band graphic eq? On board effects? Again I ask, are you kidding ? .

And again I say budget doesn't have to mean crap :!:

Well, there's Peavey, Yamaha, Alesis, Nady, Soundcraft, Samson, and the Mackie knock-off...Tapco. They all have comparable boards in the same price range and in my opinion none of them are any better than the Behringer board.

So...YES...there are other boards in that price range and in that price range I give the UB boards a glowing recomendation. What don't you understand about that? And no, I'm not kidding. Not at all. I'm not kidding at all. In that price range compared to other boards by the manufacturers I listed I give it props. Deal with it.

And I've never said a single word to Stickers so I have no clue where his hostility comes from. Perhaps a bad childhood. Certainly not from me.

People seem to get attacked (no matter where they are) for making any statement that supports Behringer as a good product. It's kind of weird. Obviously there are enough people buying their product to keep them in business. Why do you care so much whether or not I (or anyone else) have good things to say about Behringer? Why? Does it really matter that much to you?

Personally, I get sick and tired of seeing everyone around here recommend "The Brick" every 5 freakin' minutes but you don't see me crying about it. "oh the brick is wonderful. oh get a brick. oh the brick is your answer." It's a great DI box and that's about it really. You could recommend a little variety in that price range more often if you ask me. There are much more useful pre's in that price range, but it's a killer DI box. There's not another forum on the net that recommends that thing as much as your group does here. Again, you don't see me crying about it. Get over it.

You guys really need to get over yourselves. No I'm not kidding about that either.

Guest Sat, 06/25/2005 - 14:57

Zoltar8814 wrote: You are a dick.

Ditto :!:
Welcome to RO Zoltar8814. It's usally not like this on RO. There were NEVER sooooo many trolls on here :x
Now it's like every few days, another troll here and another troll there.
Trolls go away! Kurt is loved, you are not! And no, I don't love you either frob.

Guest Sun, 06/26/2005 - 05:02

stickers wrote: did you ever see pulp fiction?

If you didn't see Pulp Fiction, then how about "Full Metal Jacket"?
You are becoming the "Pyle" of Recording.org
Remember the pillow cases and the soap sceen?
How about when they made that fat fucker march with his pants unbuttoned and falling around his knees (with his gun over his shoulder and his thumb in his mouth
"I'm gonna cut your nuts off so you can't contaminate the rest of the world".

CoyoteTrax Sun, 06/26/2005 - 08:33

Well, in "real life" you guys I actually Graduated from Marine recruit training. Parris Island, SC, Platoon 1066, October 1982. You want to talk about "Full Metal Jacket"? I actually watched a guy try to comit suicide right in front of me in training. No shit. Characters like Pyle really exist in real life. I was ordered to clean up this guys puddles of blood after saving his life. We actually had a "Pyle" in our platoon but his name was Kyratsis. Again, I shit you not. They used to run his dick into the dirt and then he'd come running back to formation sweating like a pig and ready to have a heart attack right there in front of you. Sweat just flying off of him. Yeah, he was just like "Pyle". Blanket parties are real too Guy. It's bars of soap stuffed into green utility socks though. I think you should sign up and go get you some of that. It's actually a lot of fun for 4 years or so. And for Marine's there's always a conflict to fight in. There's never a dull moment. Whether there's war in the gulf or not, there's a war somewhere for you to fight. Usually just a quiet little war that the general public will never know about. You and stickers seem like you like a little violence now and then. I encourage you to visit your closest recruiter. I'm sure they would love to talk with you.

It's interesting though how everyone has just stopped addressing the discussion about cheap gear and you guys are just spouting off a bunch of personal insults instead.

It's much more interesting, however to actually talk about gear and in an intelligent way. Can you do that?

blaumph2cool Sun, 06/26/2005 - 17:49

As oppose to some of the others here I know little to nothing about all the Behringer scandels and i own or have use many of there products so i think thank makes me pretty unbiased and a pretty good authority. here are some of the products.

Behringer Truth B2031A Active Monitors:
very exagerated in the lows, not very good as a montitor if you want flat and accurate.

Behringer UB1832FX Mixer
the preamps are very noisey on this mixer, would be good for a PA where pristine sound quality is not an order. i.e if you use good power amps and speakers in your PA, you'll hear the "Hiss".

Behringer V-Tone 2X12 combo amp
the simulation is not great, effects are marginal, i'd rather have a Line6

Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200
I like this unit, i can use it on Electric guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Percussion, organs, Some vocals and have to be careful on this one because the MIC200 will distort if pushed too hard.

Behringer B2 Condenser Microphone
This would fall into the cheap brittle chinese condenser microphone category.

Behringer DI-100 Direct Box
okay as a live input DI box, there is better stuff out there

In summary, Behringer is the kind of company that is at the very bottom of the gear quilty food chain.

I am not sure why some people here at RO get so uptite...its like you say the word Behringer and then its like "NO we dont serve they're kind in here"...again maybe it goes back to all behringers bad business morals, of which i only know little about so i really only look at if from a product point of view.

Yes i've been burned by bad behringer gear. i will be more care in the future when buying a piece of behringer, but not all behringer gear out there is bad (just probably most :lol: ).

-Blaumph

Guest Sun, 06/26/2005 - 18:38

I don't really think you are impressing anyone that you have had your head played with by the military Coyote.
But it does explain why you have issues. And there is NO way in HELL, I would ever go join the military, 1st because I would never want to have too much in common with a lunitic like you.
2ndly.... ohh forget it.

stickers Sun, 06/26/2005 - 18:51

I am actually not very smart for this reason below....

I am 5 year old monkey who has been trained to read/type and record audio. I was trained in a secret agency of the US government under a project known as MB1. Other monkeys enrolled in this project were trained with different set skills ,for instance, politics. ( psss... President Bush is actually a monkey. Dont tell anyone i told you guys)

Ok i have to go change my diapers now. I am still not toilet trained but i am working on it.

x

User login