Skip to main content

I am really looking at buying an AT4050 for my home studio but i want to make sure I'll be able to use it for multiple applications, namely recording rock and softer acoustic vocals, guitar cabinets and acoustic guitars. I also have an AT3035, an sm57, Sennheiser 109e and an sm81. Do you think an AT4050 would be a good next microphone to purchase for the price and do you think it will serve all my needs?

Comments

Cucco Thu, 12/04/2008 - 06:01

The AT 4050 is a great mic and very versatile but here's some other food for thought.

Consider a Crowley and Trip or AEA ribbon mic. Both companies make mics that have different colors on both front and back and are fantastic mics that will compliment your current selection.

They may be a little pricier (not much) than the AT, but they're WELL worth it.

Cheers-
J

Cucco Thu, 12/04/2008 - 09:14

I don't know anything about the Woodpecker - I hear it's good but I've never used it.

On the other hand, I can attest to the quality of both the others and they're about the same price as the Woodpecker.

The AEA can handle so much SPL it's not even funny. Certain iterations of the C&T do very well with high SPLs as well.

I would say, if it's a true 100W tube amp (not hybrid), you'd probably only need about the first 8 watts or so for recording - but that will still be PLENTY loud.

Cheers-
J

Cucco Thu, 12/04/2008 - 11:39

It's a great mic for sure but don't discount the AEA R84. IMO, it's one of the finest mics available. I use the R88 on a regular basis. If there's any mic on the planet that's capable of creating a BIG sound without bloating, this is it.

Pair it with a great pre such as a Langevin DVC or a Great River or a Millennia and you'll simply not believe your ears.

Best wishes -
J

RemyRAD Sat, 12/06/2008 - 08:01

One thing nobody mentioned here was that if you are going to crank up your guitar amplifier with a condenser microphone on it? You're probably going to need to engage the pad on the microphone. As opposed to any pad you may have on your console/microphone preamp. The capsule element can physically overload the microphones own electronics. The microphone electronics can in turn also overload the microphone preamp. So both pads may in fact be necessary for good recording. Again, proper gain staging is absolutely critical & necessary.

Notice that Cucco was trying to lead you down the path of a passive microphone? Really, my preference as well. Generally, I really don't like condenser microphones on guitar cabinets. Guitars are not wide range enough to warrant that kind of bandwidth that condensers produce. All you're going to get is extra noise in the low end & high end where there is no real tonal value. And one of the reasons why you find so many SM57 & all sorts of other dynamic and ribbon microphones recommended for guitar cabinets. This is not to say that you won't like the results? But there's a reason why most of us utilize dynamics & ribbons on guitar cabinets. Because we know what sounds good. But anything used properly will always sound fine.

Going all the way!
Ms. Remy Ann David