Skip to main content

Hey guys... first post of many on here for me i presume...

I'm currently working in a small recording studio and have just installed my MOTU 828 Mk2/SX2 system in there (instead of using a horrid Roland VS 2480 )... I'm hoping to record a band with this and a bank of twelve Urei preamps but I'm having a problem... its probably really simple to fix but i havent worked it out yet... when i was recording a bit of guitar testing the system, i am having a problem hearing the direct signal from the amp straight down the middle of my monitor signal. this is making it hard to hear what I'm trying to play along to.
i basically need to know how to make this direct sound panable and controlable with the track mixer...

Thanx so much for any help...

xLOLx

Comments

ghellquist Sat, 03/26/2005 - 04:52

Not sure I understand your question. But easiest way is probably to use Firewire Cuemix Console, a program included with the 828mkII, or downloadable from the Motu site. It shows all the inputs and allows you to route them back to any output, independently of the host software. There is a DSP inside the 828mkII that allows you to mix and pan signals. It is accessible from the front panel controls, but I find them a pain to use.

Gunnar.

inLoco Sat, 03/26/2005 - 07:06

ghellquist said it all!
i use the cuemix for when recording muting what i'm recording! don't want to hear the drums on the headphones or a loud amp! this way i can hear just the other tracks and os on... but you can use it the other way around! you can even make different mixes for different outputs so if recording a live band every one has different mixes!

anonymous Sat, 03/26/2005 - 07:53

PERFECT!!! i'll try this monday morning... thank you so much... doesnt the cuemix affect the input signals in anyway??? if i bring down the source signal in the cuemix, wont it affect the signal being recorded to cubase???

thanx guys... sorry for being a bit vague... ive only ever used the motu for mixing each track to cubase and mixing in it... ive never recorded live properly into it... thanx again...

xLOLx

anonymous Tue, 04/05/2005 - 07:08

Just a little hint (I have the MOTU 896HD - just love the MOTU interfaces!) - why not put some headphones on which pipes the main mix you're trying to play along to so that you hear the mix in your ears (maybe open headphone) and if your guitar amp is loud you can hear that anyway... make any sense? :wink: