Skip to main content

I really want the cheaper one(828mk2).. can anyone help me decide, what is the big difference, in stability, noise (heard a lot about power supply noise on the MK2). I know the 896HD has 8 preamps and the MK2 only has two, this is one of the main reasons i want to 896HD the most. Can anyone tell me the reason why i should spend the extra bucks on th 896HD or why i should save some bucks and buy the 828. :(

Comments

anonymous Mon, 09/05/2005 - 14:58

okay, but what about all the problems i have heard with the 828 mk2?? many reviews has people complaining about glitches , power supply humming noise, squeeling sounds when playing waves and recording.. etc. Are these problems solveable.. i have a pretty decent computer btw. Pentium 4 3.6ghz, 2gb DDR2 ram, 2x300gb S-ATA disk etc.. and a seperate firewirecard. thx btw!

ghellquist Mon, 09/05/2005 - 23:03

My guess is that the Motu is not much worse than the rest of the cards out there, only that it is more common in the budget camp that probably has budget computers. Remember also that the older 828 was one of the very first, if not the first, widespread firewire card.

I also guess that it would not make much difference if you use the 828mkII or the 896HD from that point of view. Fewer problems reported with the 896HD may simply be because there are fewer units out there.

My experience with the 828mkII on various computers has been without problems so maybe I have been lucky.

As for which to choose, well, I can not guide you. Personally I think the 828mkII is a better choice, because I sort of like to think that my mic pres will survive longer than any computer device. I am not quite thinking about the longevity of the box then, but that every year there comes a few hundred new sound cards, getting cheaper and better all the time. Good pres though, does not seem to fall in price the same way. But that is just me.

And as for 192kHz that is very overrated. I think a decent converter at 44.1 / 24 is perfectly acceptable and that going to 96 only adds little to that but eats quite a piece of my computer. But we all are different there. I believe very few professionals with all the trimmings inlucing the mics and pres and treated rooms elect to go 192 today.

Gunnar

anonymous Tue, 09/06/2005 - 15:26

I have the 896HD and LOVE it!!! Never a problem of any sort. Does the 828 have DSP, and the Firewire mixer console? Those are two features I would never want to be without. The DSP relieves CPU strain and gives zero latency.

When I bought mine it had more pre's than I thought I needed, but as it turns out, I use all the pre's from time to time.

anonymous Thu, 09/08/2005 - 05:34

ghellquist wrote:

A small question on the 896HD -- does it have a fan, and is it noisy?

No fan. It is absolutly silent!!

I wish I could say the same for my A/C duct. When tracking I have to turn the A/C off, which isn't much fun in Florida this time of year. I crank it down to 60 (Fahrenheit) for a few hours before I record :wink: