Skip to main content

What I have:
Korg Triton Extreme 88
Event ASP8
Neumann 103
Athlon 3200, and a 3700 with 1 gig and 2 gig systems

What I need:
To record my wife, and also record (pass through) the spidif from triton to DAW

Below are my choices and my understanding of different things from what I have read. Please let me know if my understanding is correct or if there are other issues I need to be aware of...

Choices:
Preamp: There are TONS of preamps out there, but my question is for the money, what do you guys/gals think about Avalon M5. Also, any thoughts on 737? I hear both good AND bad thinkgs about 737, but always good things about the M5. Also for the same price range to m5 (1200-1500), what other preamps would you recommend?

AD/DA:
I was looking at the digi 002. I like the fact that they were Pro Tools (I know very little about daw software, so I thought there would be a lot more instructions out there for learning Pro Tools vs, say Sonar 5 or cubase). However the digi 002 have not so great AD/DA as well as pre's. So the next option is Fireface which I hear has one of the best AD/DA converters for the money. But their pre's are not that great so maybe I'll combine it with Avalon m5's. The next option would be rosetta 200, but with the added on firewire card, it would be about 2200, vs. 1200-1500 for fireface. The quality of AD/DA although somewhat better is not enough to justify the cost.

DAW software:
Not sure where to start, Sonar 5 vs Cubase sx3 vs nuendo vs acid. I just dont know.

So to sum it up, I'm now leaning towards getting the RME Fireface, Avalon m5, and Sonar 5. What do you guys think based on your experiences?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

Maz

Comments

anonymous Mon, 02/13/2006 - 18:28

Forgeting the in/out option, how do you guage the difference in sound?

Can you NOTICABLY hear the difference? At what range do you hear it (ie in 96khz range, 48, 44.1)?

If eitherway I downscale a recorded 96 khz to a 44.1, would the differences in sound be that obvious?

I know it is difficult, but can you quantise the difference, ie is it 10% better, 20%, etc.

Thanks again for your help

x

User login