Skip to main content

Greetings. I have been happily running my p4/1.8 with a 1010Delta/RME combo. It recently did 85gb of files from my old Fostex D160 without a peep. Some of that material has been mixed and no problems. When I transferred 8 analog trks today, one trk, the bass was wrecked. There was a message in notepad saying something to the effect that 'your base is ours'. I checked through the Cubase sx templates and it was on all the audio ones. I assume this is a prankster. But how it got in if it is, I cannot think. This machine has only legit ware, and not much of that. It has not been on the network. I have not installed any downloads. So, what should I do to correct this situation, and how in the world can I prevent it in the future, if I don't know from whence it came?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 01/02/2003 - 02:41

Please, let me be clear about the software. It was purchased from the companies who produced it. SX was picked up at the steinberg office as was wavelab4. The only other ware is nero5.143, which came from a reputable shop, on request. There is no crack here and never has been.
So now can anyone tell me where this code might reside? Would a uninstall be adequate to root it out? Or do I have to re/re the os, (win2000 pro).
Would a backup strategy using ghost and removable drives be anybetter. If I've never used the web with this machine, never downloaded even an update, how could it get in?

thanks for your help. I am enjoying this forum already.
b3

anonymous Thu, 01/02/2003 - 15:18

The dongle is in the usb port. I've spoken to others who have 'cracks' and this message is in the crack. OK. That's a case of gettin wotcha pay fer. In my case, I've paid the freight. Iam going to hold off a total nuke and rebuild until I can get some idea how this got in. Regrettably, I do not code and do not yet know how to track this spoor.
thanks for listening

bub
ps Delbert Mclinton's new disc is fine.

Opus2000 Thu, 01/02/2003 - 16:46

HOLY MOLY! Mine has it too! Damn Steinberg actually has a sense of humor! That is too fucking funny! lmao!! :p
I'm going to have to wright to my buddy at Steinberg Germany and find out what that's all about!
Sorry for the wrongful acusation but I saw that on a friend's system who was running a cracked version(and I did give him shit for it too! )
Also when you say "ware" you should be careful because most people will take that as "cracked" lingo!
Not sure how the bass track would be corrupt though. If all other tracks sound fine it's an odd one unless you ran out of hard disk space or something of that nature. You do have the correct ASIO driver selected right?
Let me know
Opus

KurtFoster Thu, 01/02/2003 - 22:15

All this is making me glad I'm using VST instead of SX … It looks like I saved some money and some grief! DH had trouble with his latest upgrade and now this … perhaps in another 6 months I'll upgrade to SX after all this gets worked out!. Only thing is, by then, Steinberg probably won't offer an upgrade path. I'll have to spring for a whole new program. But I'd rather do that than try to save a couple of hundred only to have it backfire in my face and lay all these problems on my doorstep! VST ... working just fine!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tannoys, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK.
Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
It's my opinion, I'll play with it if I want to!

anonymous Fri, 01/03/2003 - 08:08

The asio drivers seem ok, both for the delta and the rme, which I toggle between when transferring from the venerable fostex.At least there's no obvious sign. There is lots of hd space. The cpu meter was maybe 5%.
What has me worried is the possibility that our recently created archive might have some twitch buried .There is 85gb of this which we neophytes recorded over the last few months.It would be a lot of time to redo it, and listening would be totally too much time from family and day job.My partner already has to turn the power off to get me away from the music!
I spoke to the local Steinberg tech on the phone here in Toronto, and he had never seen this, and said it was not his company's policy to bugger my humble attempts to learn how to help make recordings. My lack of experience leads me to believe him as it wouldn't make a lot of sense.
I will get my archived firewire hd (at someone's mix session) back on the weekend and have a look. The 8 trk must wait as the transport failed again.
Many thanks. I am delighted to have discovered these forums. and will try not to tax everyone's patience.
bub

Loved Geoff Muldaur's last recording

Opus2000 Fri, 01/03/2003 - 10:30

Fats
I don't have any of these problems most are reporting and I definitely try to duplicate them as well. In regards to bub's issue I think it's got to be something on that fostex possibly. Hard disk recorders can and will do that occasionally. Same thing with the Roland drives. If all other tracks import fine than it's not SX to blame here.
SX is actually very decent and very powerful. No complaints here!
Bub
Please...post away man! That's why we are here!!!
Opus

anonymous Fri, 01/03/2003 - 17:52

Sorry. Realize I wasn't specific. The 85gb were a digital transfer as you assumed. So far, I have not heard back from the others that there were any problems on that small part of the archive. The other, 'most venerable', was the analog fostex. I hadn't realized that they were both fostexs (what should that plural be?). The problem arose after transfering 8 analog trks from the most venerable one.

'Rattlebag' was a fine recording greatly enjoyed.

Opus2000 Sat, 01/04/2003 - 10:25

When you were transfering the files from the analog machine(the most venerable one as you call it :D ) were you monitoring the tracks? Both via the Fostex and the Delta or RME(whatever one you were using for it) If so how did it sound then? You might want to try another transfer to see how it is.
Let us know
Opus

anonymous Sat, 01/04/2003 - 14:38

RE: plurals

If it were more than one index, then: indices.
If it were more than one ibex then: ibexes.
If it were more than one guy named Tex then:Texs.
If it belonged to Tex then:Tex's. (Not a plural but what the hey, no charge.)

So, you could have Fostices, Fostexes, Fos-Texs or Fos-Tex's.

Frankly, I would think of Fostex as a genus or a species, so one or a thousand would simply be: Fostex.

Fun thread. I love sitting on the sideline, munching soy nuts and watching people iron out the kinks in the latest release.

Got any rootbeer?

:c: