Skip to main content

hi all, just registered
exciting to see how much information i have missed,
anyways, my setup:

P2.0 Win XP
512 Ram
Delta 1010lt
a cheap creative midi keyboard (no knobs, no sliders, even no pitch bend control :)
fender strat, a few amps, etc.

my main object is producing jingles for tv, radio and any medium. Is it possible to create professional recordings with the config above? If not, what is the first thing i need. thnx

Comments

anonymous Sun, 12/26/2004 - 18:34

After endlessly refreshing the home project studio forum homepage while i was wondering why my post does not make any sense, i found out that i am so stupid for not to look at a few lines below :oops: , there lies my answer, i think i should buy new monitors and take care of room acoustics.
On the other hand, with some search on the web i read that one of the factors that creates pro recordings is the instrument definiton through the mix and with vstis and samples this is very hard and makes it impossible to compete with prostudios . What do you say?
I connected two of the deltas outputs directly to TV, i think the inputs on the tv is actually line outs to external speakers. Anyways it works. So i can use the speakers of the tv. Is this setup usable or useful while mixing or mastering.

antmen,
istanbul, TR

bradb Tue, 12/28/2004 - 12:51

ill take a stab at this question.

i have a delta 1010, but the rack one, not the LT.

your question depends on what you want to record. If you just want to record MIDI stuff you just need a PC and a midi controller and midi input device (right? I don't use midi)

but if you want to record that guitar, percussion, your voice, other non midi stuff, youre going to need some microphones and microphone pre-amps. i THINK the LT has 2 pre's on it. If i was you, i'd get out my checkbook and get a 2 channel microphone pre, I've heard good things about the Aphex 107, and get a decent microphone, maybe a studio projects C1.

its an endless pit of money.

I would do this:
1) get some gear, the microphone pre and the mic.
2) do some recordings, is it fun, are you "getting anywhere?"
3) Do you want to stick with it? Are you rich? (hehe)
4) if yes, start building your setup.

if not, the aphex and C1 are easily resold, and you'll get most of your money back.

Think about what your final goal is and shoot for it.

anonymous Wed, 12/29/2004 - 07:55

thanks for the response
i got the lite, luckily i have a friend, he is proficient in electronics. He made a simple breakout box.

i want to record midis using vsti s and samplers, and occasionally i will record guitar. Also in the future i plan to record vocals, and percussion ( i never thought recording percussions live in my room, thats a brilliant idea, you can even record by hitting different things not necessarily the real instruments 8-) you said.

so,
1. i will get some gear you mentioned, but its not possible to find all the brands in here, so i'll check the stores.
2. i am doing recordings for years, i've been also performing on stage for 5-6 years nearly. It's always been fun and will be. Am i getting anywhere? I dont know.... : )
3. I will stick with it forever, even if i can get no work in the music business, i will do it as a hobbie. No i am not rich, i am jobless for 4 months. Last company paid me 6,500,000,000 Turkish Liras when they fired me. Hehe $1=1,300,000 Turkish Liras. But i am hopefull i can get some jingle composing jobs in a month if i do my demo cd tight. Or maybe i can give private guitar lessons and so on...

My main goal is making sweet money first, to make a living, to upgrade my studio and etc.. And here, producing jingles for advertisements, TV shows, TV series, and Radio is the easiest way. I am preparing a demo cd and a web site for presenting my work.

BTW sorry if am being ridiculous sometimes, i really lose %50 of my IQ when trying to write in english.

RockSkar Fri, 12/31/2004 - 22:31

I gotta reply here.

First off, let me introduce myself. I have been recording on PC using Cubase and Logic Audio for about 5 years.

Anyhow, the first thing I want to say is that it is severely doubtable that your friend fashioned a breakout box that would rival the manufactured breakout box. I have a feeling what he built you would be more considered a "patchbay."

Also, I listened to your song. It's not too bad, especially given the equipment you were working with. I like the melodies and stuff, but I think you could get much better sound if you learn how to really get great sounds from your instruments.

Here's a song I made the other day: http://www.revolutionmusic.net/mp3/desert%20song%20www.revolutionmusic.net.mp3

RockSkar Fri, 12/31/2004 - 22:31

I gotta reply here.

First off, let me introduce myself. I have been recording on PC using Cubase and Logic Audio for about 5 years.

Anyhow, the first thing I want to say is that it is severely doubtable that your friend fashioned a breakout box that would rival the manufactured breakout box. I have a feeling what he built you would be more considered a "patchbay."

Also, I listened to your song. It's not too bad, especially given the equipment you were working with. I like the melodies and stuff, but I think you could get much better sound if you learn how to really get great sounds from your instruments.

Here's a song I made the other day: http://www.revolutionmusic.net/mp3/desert%20song%20www.revolutionmusic.net.mp3