Skip to main content

Anyone have one of these: Emu 1820 M
Not sure it qualifies as pro audio, none the less.

If anyone is using one, do give us you take...

Peace 8-)

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Sat, 01/29/2005 - 17:09

I can vouch it is a pro audio unit. It's spec's, features, performance and sound speak for themselves. It is as pro audio or more as any other computer audio interface. The mic preamps are not anything to brag about and yet are in the average and acceptable level good enough for most wankers. But then nobody makes an interface with a mic pre worth bragging about anyway.

The on board DSP effects are pretty damn good and useable, being as good or better than above average plugs, and they don't waste CPU overhead and can even be used as VST effects. The PatchMix virtual mixer and signal router offers fantastic flexability with anything to anything routing capability.

Step up to the EmulatorX Studio and you get the same hardware with the addition of the next generation E-MU sampling engine with either stand alone use or VSTi support, including over 2GB of sounds/samples and backwards compatability with the older EOS sampler CD-ROM library.

It is not perfect by any means, the current software bundle is rather weak at this time but I've heard them say at NAMM that a new more modern software bundle are forth comming (Cubase LE T-REX) and users will be allowed to upgrade.

Despite the minor little things, I have found it to be one powerful and complete overall package that far exceeds expectations, offers fantastic value and is priced for even budget users. I'm quite happy with mine for songwritting duties and other editing/production work that doesn't always require me to fire up the whole studio.

wsiler Wed, 02/02/2005 - 05:44

AudioGaff,

Can you expand on the this card a little for me? I am interested in getting a card that I can interface to my PC to my Alesis ADAT. So far, I keep thinking a MOTU MKII may be the middle man and just connect my PC via Firewire. However, if a card like this offers ADAT and has transport control via my Cubase, I could see it as very usefull. Will this card connect to an ADAT?

Also, the mixdown features look pretty nice for this card. Do you do a lot of your mix down with it?

Thanks,
Wiley

AudioGaff Thu, 02/03/2005 - 23:19

I don't what more needs be said. If you a have specifc question, ask. I picked it over the MOTU 828 MKII and am very glad I did. It is a killer product at a more than fair price and the EmulatorX sampler software has even replaced the need for using my E-MU E4Xt Ultra hardware sampler although I still like and use it. I have a full studio's worth of gear and the E-MU is one of many tools I use. Mine is used more for songwriting and idea capture replacing a pair of E-MU 8-track Darwin's that I still can't seem to part with, I don't mix just within the PC. I mix using a hybrid method that combines digital and analog.