Skip to main content

Is it worth the switch from Focusrite 428 to API 3124+ ?
Any users of both that can answer?
THANKS.

Comments

anonymous Tue, 01/04/2005 - 21:33

i´ve been drooling for awhile with the 3124...and i have a 428, excelent device...great in OHs, but lack of charater for toms,kick and snare...i think that can be the prefect add to the 428 with the AD card...i´m looking my options, maybe a Sebatron...or something with tubes, something less pristine (althought the 428 its not totally pristine) the only thing in the APIs is that they are a little expensive...but, i guess its the result of being a drum standar preamp... 8)

lorenzo gerace Wed, 01/05/2005 - 06:13

I've red of several guys over the internet (on the Gearslutz forum also) that use both by sending the 3124+ in the 482 AD card and having the best of both worlds: a fairly clean pre in the 428 and a colored one with the API, they compliment each other, and I guess they would make for a very nice drum setup: put Kick dyn, Kick Condenser, Sanre Up and Snare Down on the API, OHs and room mics on the 428 (toms and hi hat on something else), everything straight into a DAW thru the ISA 24/96 converter and you have the foundation of a great drum sound.
I guess the two are rather different units so switching from one for the other would give very different results if that's what you're looking for.

BTW: I'm looking to do this combo myself :wink:

Hope this helps

L.G.

J-3 Wed, 01/05/2005 - 07:51

I've been contemplating selling my EL8x Distressor and kicking in some bones for the 3124+. It seems that I would get more use out of a 3124 than my Distressor. Don't get me wrong I dig the comp but I find I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I have the UAD card 1176's, LA2A's, Fairchild's and some pretty nice Waves Platinum stuff for comps that I use more while mixing. Any thoughts?