Skip to main content

:roll: Can this mic do professional vocal recording, i dont really know, can somebody help me?

Topic Tags

Comments

Massive Mastering Wed, 12/15/2004 - 04:55

It'll sound as professional as the voice that goes into it.

I hate to sound cryptic, but that's pretty much the way it is with just about everything.

The 421 (or really ANY mic, preamp, effect, etc.) can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on what sound you put in front of it and the other sounds that make up the mix as a whole.

That being said - Specifically, I don't rely on 421's for vocals very much. Not that it can't be used effectively on some of the "louder" types (rock, metal, etc.).

KurtFoster Thu, 12/16/2004 - 09:59

My personal experience has shown me that female vocalists seem to like the 421 a lot in lieu of a better condenser mic ... the rise at 2k seems to enhance their vocals in a way that makes it easy for them to hear themselves. I used to work with one lady who always complained about not being able to hear herself but when I put up a 421 for rucks, she loved it ...

sammyg Thu, 12/16/2004 - 19:09

Massive Mastering wrote: It'll sound as professional as the voice that goes into it.

I hate to sound cryptic, but that's pretty much the way it is with just about everything.

The 421 (or really ANY mic, preamp, effect, etc.) can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on what sound you put in front of it and the other sounds that make up the mix as a whole.

That being said - Specifically, I don't rely on 421's for vocals very much. Not that it can't be used effectively on some of the "louder" types (rock, metal, etc.).

So true,

I recorded a band that clearly hadn't practiced any of the songs they were recording, nor practiced their instruments.
I tried different mic's, pre's, etc, but came to the conclusion that they were just bad, just made me work harder!! No gear can fix a bad song, bad melody (in this case no melody), or bad vocalist!

On the other side of the spectrum, I recorded a female vocalist (just piano and vocals), she had a voice like an angel, good mic technique, the whole bit. It was the easiest recording I've ever done, and the best sounding. We did 7 songs in one session, a couple of the songs she did in 1 or 2 takes, to me, recording someone like that is what makes getting into recording worth it.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of musicians that analyse themselves before a recording, too busy trying to be rock stars,
or what they think being a rock star is about.

my 2 cents,

Sammyg

x

User login