Skip to main content

ive run into some problems using my 002 console with my friends XP machine (they wonder why i would rather use our G5?). ok so here is what its doing, tell me what you think, cause my brain is fried after futzing with it all night trying to record a 3 minute guitar part.

it is giving a buffer underrun error randomly (in/at the most inconvient times) i cant remember the error code right now, but its the one that pops up when you need to increase/decrease the hardware buffer.
i will bring up the system usage and the CPU is at a normal level for a 2.4 machine. the disk use is whats interesting, it will drop to almost nothing when it errors out. its got a gig and a half of mem. in it. so its not a memory problem. the CPU usage isn't a problem, yet. and when ever we do what it says "increase/ decrease hardware buffer", it will tell you to keep going or go the other way. i put my old fire wire card in the machine, and it got marginaly better.
so I'm thinking that i need to put one of the Digidesign recomended cards in it that is fast enough to keep up with the 002.
any expertise any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Topic Tags

Comments

Dosser Wed, 07/20/2005 - 05:22

Are you recording to an external drive? If you are, and its on the same firewire bus as the 002, that may be your problem. I think Digi recommends you plug in the drive first, then daisy chain it to the 002. I wanted to be able to add and remove drives with Protools running, so I added an extra firewire PCI card to have a second firewire bus, which also worked.

Hope this helps.

jonnyc Wed, 07/20/2005 - 12:36

The million dollar question is did your friend check out digidesigns website to make sure his pc was compatable. ProTools is very very picky about what pc is running its program. You pretty much have to have a machine built exactly to the specs of Digi or you'll run the risk of it never working right. I chose to avoid this problem and bought a G5, its so nice to just plug in the firewire cable and viola.

anonymous Wed, 07/20/2005 - 21:18

jonnyc wrote: I chose to avoid this problem and bought a G5, its so nice to just plug in the firewire cable and viola.

Does your viola have a firewire port?

Seriously, incompatible chipsets on the motherboard are the number one reason why you run into problems with Digidesign. You need to check the Digi compatibility Doc on their site.

No mention was made as to how many tracks are being played back at once. If the Original poster is recording to a separate partition on his "boot drive", his performance is going to be less than if he would record to a completely separate drive. You can get away with low track counts all on the boot drive, but it is really recommended to use a separate drive for your audio. This not applies to ProTools, but all recording systems, PC or Mac.

anonymous Thu, 07/21/2005 - 08:19

so i went to compusa yesterday on my way to work and got an external case and hard drive. seemed to have fixed the problem. gonna put in the new fire wirecard anyways since i figured once i get around to building my dedicated rack recording machine i would want to have the recomended one.
thanks for the help. (y)