Skip to main content

I'll give a bit of information on what I have now.
-Sony VAIO Pentium-D 2.6GHz 1G RAM
-Windows XP
-E-MU 1820M audio interface with audio dock
-PreSonus DIGIMAX FS into E-MU via ADAT optical
-Cubase SX3
-Yamaha HS-50M/HS-10 Monitor System

Everything sounds wonderfully crisp and I do not think I could ask for more at this time. However, upon taking a class this semester I found out that Digi Design shook hands with Steinberg and a few other companies to allow their hardware to be used with programs other than Pro Tools, which includes my version of Cubase. So now I am thinking about ditching my E-MU setup and just going with the 002R.
-Side question: Could I still use my DIGIMAX with the ADAT in on the 002R to get sixteen channels or would they just be directed into the Digi pre's?

What do you guys think? Apparantly I already have Digi HD A/D/A converters in my 1820M which whoops the 002... I don't know. I did some more research and found out that the 002R has some problems working with PC's, but mine is fairly exceptional. One of the biggest advantages for moving to the 002R is that I could bump up my sample rate to 96k and still have eight* XLR inputs to work with.
*Given that I could still use my DIGIMAX through the ADAT In.

Any well thought/research backed/experiencial advice is welcomed. For the record, I do not like Pro Tools. I find it clunky and not user-friendly at all so do not preach to me about the greatness of it. Personally I would much rather use Logic or System 4.

Thank you very much!

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Tue, 06/05/2007 - 15:59

If you want or need protools, that is one thing. But the E-MU 1820M is a far better sounding product than the 002r crap. At least with the 1820M, it can used with just about any DAW software. Don't fall into the trap of chasing the ghost. You seem to have a real good working setup right now. Are you willing to take a chance and screw it all up? It would be wiser, and your money would be much better spent on other things such as very good monitors, mic's, high end preamps, room treatment ect...

AudioGaff Tue, 06/05/2007 - 17:00

I don't believe your going to find a good high end mic pre for $500 or less so I don't have any specific suggestions. Save and bump it up to the $1000-$1500 range and you then have something that will last you your entire career and still be of value to someone else if you decide to dump it. If you buy used, you get even better value for your money.

Something like an API 512 and an API lunchbox frame to put it in would be a great start. There are now many different great mic pre's that can fit into the API 500 series frames or lunchbox. A single channel of of something like the GR NV, UA 610 ect.. would also be good choces.