Skip to main content

What is the better route? The Digi 002 or control 8 + digi rack? The price is quite similar so I'm quite confused. I'm leaning towards the rack and controller but still can't figure out what I'm missing...

Anyone?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 04/25/2005 - 23:58

You're not really missing anything with the combination, and I prefer it that way personally...I don't want all of my cables strewn across my desktop if they don't have to be. If you ever go out to do mobile recording it's nice to not have to lug around the control surface. You also get a few things with that setup you don't get with the tabletop 002 like extra MIDI ports and the Command 8's more advanced control room functionality. It does cost a bit more, but only marginally so.

-Duardo

anonymous Tue, 04/26/2005 - 07:25

I have the 002r and an old mackie HUI, which is clunky sure, but has features these newer control boards just dont have. it rocks!! why they stopped making it i have no idea...but the shame of it is, im stuck on pt 6.4 since they wont support it any more past it. not even as a legacy...i dont think.
i love the hui...but its value drops with every day that goes by.

LittleDogAudio Tue, 04/26/2005 - 07:26

It's really a personal choice when it comes to using a control surface or not.

Most of the engineers in my studio hate them, including myself.

I forced myself to try one for several months and all it really did was slow my work-flow by 50 % or more. I can mix way faster with a mouse and keyboard.

But again, it's a personal thing. Ask around some more to get a feel for how other engineers feel. Oh, I guess you just did.

Chris

anonymous Tue, 04/26/2005 - 09:27

actually, i can see that. I'm fluent in Pro Tools keyboard shortcuts, so I often find myself slamming the keyboard over the control surfaces shortcut.
but you cant beat the control surfaces shortcyts for arming all tracks at once with one button, as well as FX automation ease, and motorized fader automation. id hate to have to make automation passes for every track. the HUI, i can do 8 at once accurately. but i see the point.
i thought of unloading the HUI several times since i felt I could get away with keyboard shortcuts...but its nice having that "mixer" feel.

anonymous Tue, 04/26/2005 - 09:44

I have the 002r and an old mackie HUI, which is clunky sure, but has features these newer control boards just dont have. it rocks!! why they stopped making it i have no idea

Probably because it was 2-3 times the price of the Mackie Control, not expandable, and the extra features it did have most people didn't really take advantage of. And they were much less reliable than the newer control surfaces have turned out to be.

That reminds me of one other advantage to the 002R/Command 8 combination, and that is that if you want to use a tabletop 002 with any other software, only its I/O features work. The Command 8 can be used as a generic MIDI controller with other software packages.

Most of the engineers in my studio hate them, including myself.

I forced myself to try one for several months and all it really did was slow my work-flow by 50 % or more. I can mix way faster with a mouse and keyboard.

This I find very interesting. Just out of curiosity, did you "learn" audio in a DAW or with a more traditional analog mixer/recorder-type setup? I know that a lot of people who have learned on software don't find them to be necessary, but I haven't talked to a lot of people who have said that they actually hate them. I've gotten pretty goood with the keyboard and mouse, but there are some things you just can't do without a control surface, like tweaking two knobs at once, or pulling some faders up and others down at the same time, or muting or arming a bunch of tracks at once...those things I really missed between the time I sold my mixer and got my Command 8.

-Duardo

LittleDogAudio Tue, 04/26/2005 - 09:52

Well since I've been engineering for about 22 years, I certainly didn't "learn" how to mix in a Daw environment.

In fact, I,ve mixed several thousand songs on an old Trident with zero automation. I just feel that the layout of control surfaces leave a lot to be desired and usually interupts my work flow more that helps it.

But, like I said, it's a personal thing. Choose what's best for you.

Chris

x

User login