Skip to main content

hi i have a Digidesign 002 wichi has a four built-in mic preamp inputs i also have Neumann TLM 103 Mic which is a condencor mic ... so my questions is that after having that do i still need a mic preamp for warmth in recording vocals acoustic guitars and percuisions... plz tell me...

Topic Tags

Comments

inLoco Fri, 09/10/2004 - 18:00

shezan wrote: hi i have a Digidesign 002 wichi has a four built-in mic pre inputs i also have Neumann TLM 103 Mic which is a condencor mic ... so my questions is that after having that do i still need a mic pre for warmth in recording vocals accoustic guitars and percuisions... plz tell me...

if you want better recordings! for what digi 002 users here say, the pres are very weak!
depends on your budget and goal!

anonymous Fri, 09/10/2004 - 18:10

Short answer "no, with an if."
Long answer "yes, with a but."

You don't -need- another pre, you can plug your mic into the 002 and record vocals or guitars or whatever else you like to record, the pres in the 002 will be fine, IF you're happy with the sound you get from them. I don't have an 002, but from what I've heard, they're not bad pres, and not amazingly good. If the pres don't sound good enough to you, then:

Yes, get another pre (or two, or three, or...). A lot of people get several pres, so they can choose a particular one for a particular purpose. You might want any number of different sounds for your vocals, guitars, and percussions, so if you get a few different mic pres (maybe one good transparent one, like a "straight wire with gain", maybe one with a tube or two, etc), then you'll have more flexibility with your recordings.

HB

Edit: wow, so many posts while I was writing this, guess I should be faster ;) I don't think there are any -great- preamps for under $300, but there are probably good ones =) Look at the ART Tube MP family, there are 3 or 4 or 5 kinds with slightly different features, but basically it's a tube amp that can cost as low as 60 or 70 bucks. There's also the Studio Projects VTB-1 which is $130, also a tube pre. For solid state, you probably won't get one better than your 002 in that price range.