Skip to main content

"People moving out, people moving in,
Why? Because of the colour of their skin
Run, run, run, but you sure can't hide
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
Vote for me and I'll set you free
Rap on brother rap on
Well the only person talking 'bout love is the Preacher,
And it seems nobody's interested in learnin'.
But the teacher
Segragation, determination, demonstration
Integration, aggravation. .
Obligation to our Nation
Ball of confusion - that's what the world is today."

"BALL OF CONFUSION" The Temptations.

Hi folks. Well The Temptations were singing this in 1970. How much has changed since then? Now you can get killed opening a letter, and despite all the advances in science since then, still nobody anywhere can account for just what is happening with English Cricket.

So in lieu of this comes the "BADDEST" Awards 2002 to be held in November.
I re-activated my Worst-Pun of the Year post to give you an indication of the excitement and the quality inherent in these awards (? :confused:

Kind regards

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Sat, 03/02/2002 - 13:48

No fear you are hands down - the worst, Stedle, your position is safe!
:D
Why do ~I get an image in my head of you in your back yard having just thrown a boomerang, scratching your head, thinking, "I am sure I came out here for something"! ???
:D
Seriously though posting up real poetry on the bush fire thread, was a breakthrough moment of peace here on RO... and I thank you for it.

You are a 'one off' M8!

Good on ya!

:w:

anonymous Sun, 03/03/2002 - 14:35

Originally posted by Julian Standen:

Why do ~I get an image in my head of you in your back yard having just thrown a boomerang, scratching your head, thinking, "I am sure I came out here for something"! ???

:)

BTW congratulations on the Mix article. I haven't seen it yet - I look foreward to seeing it when the issue comes out over here. Is there a photo?

Bit of a poor response to the Awards though. :( Might have to hype it up occasionally. Maybe I'll go and stir (...er sorry..) that is introduce myself to the guitar players!

anonymous Sun, 03/03/2002 - 16:22

Oops. So "Room With A VU" is a regular column in Mix magazine eh Julian? Er sorry Ed. Had my finger on the pulse there didn't I? Sorry Mix magazine. I love your work! :)
However it's encouraging to know that there are people out there with the same weired genome that I have..wow they even go public!

OK. I nominate the Editors of Mix magazine as contenders for the 2002 Awards. If none of them are members of the RO Forum then by default I'm gonna propose that through guilt by association Stephen Paul accepts it on their behalf (should they win).

BTW Julian, re Captain Jean Luc. Have you seen the new Star Trek series "Enterprise" yet? I can't figure out what they were thinking re the new theme music song. :(
Honestly if first contact ever occurs are we really gonna do it to an early 1980's "big" drum sound?
Are we going to be known throughout the universe as a race of mullet haircutted Linn drum machine whacko's?
Sorry.I think I was slightly traumatised when I first heard it. :td:

Guest Sun, 03/03/2002 - 19:29

Get my my tranquilizer gun, some laudinum and some rope and cancel all next weeks apointments Watson, we may be here for some time...

:eek:

OH STAR TREK...!!! hmm I dont watch it, it looks so BAD like it was shot on camcorder, what is it with that dusty bleached out look it has...??

Allways get to the off button before any music comes on...

anonymous Wed, 03/06/2002 - 03:58

Julian... I'd like to ask you a personal question...
Have you ever worked with many Australians?
There are a number of reasons why I ask..one is that a couple of people from the forum have contacted me - some have even posted publicly - saying how weird and wonderful it sounds, they've also asked just where on the map are you?
Well it's true, Australia is wonderful. Take the boomerang for instance.
When European colonists first came across the boomerang they marvelled at it's aerodynamic efficiency, elegance, and effectiveness. Europeans had an interest in these sorts of things - aerodynamics - and... weapons. For a boomerang is a weapon. Used to kill things y'know.
I have friends who are really good with the boomerang. It's an amazing thing to see.
Personally I've never thrown one...not really interested, and besides, it takes practice to throw a boomerang properly. A lot of practice. Just like any other weapon , like a sword, or gun. a knife, even text, or a stick.
Even if I wanted to learn how to throw a boomerang, I wouldn't be able to practice where I live. My garden is useless for boomerang practice..not enough open space - far too many trees. I'd probably end up hitting myself on the head.
No, IF I had to practice weapon's training (in some parts of today's modern world that's kinda becoming an indispensible skill) I would choose a weapon that
a. I'd had experience of using before
b. Something I was good at
c. Something I would enjoy practising with
d. Something I would be prepared to use
e. Certainly not something that would turn around and hit me.

BTW I took your advice. I bought a new remote for the TV and turned the sound down when the theme music to Star Trek came on. Much better. I'm kinda liking this new series (apart from the theme song).
There's always a certain element of "cheese" in Star Trek, and it's always awkward when they introduce a new crew, you meet characters and you go what? But then you forgive them their faults and appreciate the science fiction silliness and cleverness of it all.

Er...Julian when I said that thing about mullet headed Linn Drum machine whacko's going into space....do you think that was a bit strong?
And (God forbid...maybe I HAVE been throwing a boomerang...) one of the RO members...they didn't write or perform the song...did they?

Maybe I've said something else that's offended people. Y'know you can always tell me. I do listen to your advice....well most of the time.

So...Julian..working with Australians. Whaddya reckon? Ever had to do it?
:cool: