Skip to main content

Hello.. I'm really trying to get some real-world feedback aboat digi 002.

I can't seem to find any reviews on the net, can't seem to find anyone who's actually bought the thing yet, and can't seem to get any info other than the same two paragraph "hype" that Digidesign has up on their webpage.

Can anyone give me any feedback aboot this thing? Is it worth the price tag? Are the pre's any good? Should I just get a digi 001 now that prices are down?

What say yee?

anyone?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 10/22/2002 - 22:13

personally, I think I'm just getting an 001,

a. it's cheaper

b. same amount of ins/out ext.

c. 002 does seem nice and sleek, if cash was no object, i'd get it, the control surface is quite nice. But, you could also pick up an 01v for about 500 on ebay and use that as an interface

All in all, is the new software,(w/o too many changes too the old) and a control surface worth that extra 1000 dollars to you, I say if you can afford it , go for it. But as many of us can't , an 001 will suffice quite nicely,

but don't take this on my opinion alone, wait to hear both sides of the coin out here
better to be educated before a purchase,

If there is out there who has an 002, I would love to hear what you think of it so far

KurtFoster Fri, 10/25/2002 - 09:22

Can you say ob-so-lete? That's what it (002) will be in 2 years or less. You will have a big box with faders and reasonable mic pres tied to obsolete digital technology.
On EBAY they're begging for $3k for a system that cost over $20,000 a year or 2 ago! Yeah the 002's 96 k but the internal processing is 24 bit compared to most other programs that are running at 32 bits. As I keep repeating on forum, the best investment these days is good pres and eq's, nice mics and monitors. Cheap out as much as you feel comfortable with when making your digital audio purchases. Remember my slogan,

"If it's not analog, it's crap!
You better really need it because it's crap moron! The day you buy it, it will be obsolete! In a year it will have no value whatsoever. Go ahead, try to sell it, Aha ha ha hah ha....

This is a mantra I chant to myself every month when all the free subs from the magazines come in and try to entice me into spending my children's inheritance.......Fats.... Harrumph!

anonymous Wed, 11/06/2002 - 12:31

For better or for worse, I just bought an oo2 and it just showed up. I will post results later. Let me explain why I made this particular purchase.

I am looking to start a studio that has as much professionality as possible. However, I can't get everything right now. I am starting with nothing, and when I figured out what I would be spending for software, interface/controller, plug-insand name recognition (I.E. Pro Tools), There is no doubt that the 002 is the best value (if it works). However, if I already any of the above components, the decision would probably have been different. In my mind, I changed back and forth between purchasing 001 and then 002 about 50 times. I finally decided on the 002 because of the entire package.

In stating all of this, I do not doubt at all that Fats is right. I believe there is nothing like analog. In fact, the last studio I had was all anolog (1994). However, I have a huge learning curve with computer recording so I felt that the 002 would be a good way to bump this. So for me, just to get started, I think this was the best choice. I have adequate (not great, I know) eq, compression, fx, samples, simulators etc.etc. to get started. Then as time goes on, I wish to add killer outboard gear and plug-insto suppliment the system. Then, I want to get to the point where I can pick up a nice 2" 24 track machine. And then, after that, I will upgrade my computer system to something that really rocks.

I will keep you posted on what my results are.

Brian Carter